Jim Desrosiers

Default RCA CTC187AJ No chroma

I own an RCA Colortrak Model# F27678BC which has chassis# CTC187AJ.

Problem: No chroma. The screen menu color is fine but the picture is B&W
only. The picture is sharp and has good contrast otherwise.

I am fairly comfortable with my soldering technique and was wondering if
this might be a simple repair. Any photos, schematic or wiring diagrams
would be helpful.

I'm open to taking the unit to a repair facility but the closest repair shop
is 3.5 hours away. I live in rural Maine so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Jim Desrosiers

Leonard Caillouet

Do you have a scope and do you understand the operation of the color
circuit? If so, it is likely an easy diagnosis. If not it will be hit and
miss and you will possible waste a lot of effort. You can send the chassis
to Tri State Module for repair and return for about $95 + shipping if that
is easier than bringing the set to a tech.

Leonard

"Jim Desrosiers" wrote in message
I own an RCA Colortrak Model# F27678BC which has chassis# CTC187AJ.

Problem: No chroma. The screen menu color is fine but the picture is B&W
only. The picture is sharp and has good contrast otherwise.

I am fairly comfortable with my soldering technique and was wondering if
this might be a simple repair. Any photos, schematic or wiring diagrams
would be helpful.

I'm open to taking the unit to a repair facility but the closest repair

shop
is 3.5 hours away. I live in rural Maine so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Jim Desrosiers

Rono

Check the EEPROM. These units are not known for
no color. Be carefull doing this, as you can foul the unit
up badly. First use the menu, to see if you can actually
see the small vertical bar along with the dots across the
screen to adjust the color. Read this first!!!

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/rcatune.htm#rcaver

Only, if the bar isn't there, enter the service menu, by
pressing menu, hold it, press power, release power
while still holding menu, then press volume up. You
will see P 01, left side, then V 00. Use volume up/
down to get to V 76. To reset the EEPROM:
Trick # 722

1.. Press and hold menu then press power and then press volume +
2.. Release menu
3.. Press menu (vertical will collapse don't panic)
4.. Press menu
5.. Press power
You may have restored the EEPROM, it's worked for me with some very weird
problems with the eeprom where I'd normally have replaced the eeprom.

Jim Desrosiers

Thanks Leonard,
I appreciate the reply. No, I don't have a scope, much less understand the
color circuit. At this point, I'm ready to just send the module in and have
it repaired/replaced . . . the kids are about to stage a revolt at this
point and I need it done ASAP. I think Rono's reply is on the right track.

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Desrosiers

Thanks Rono,
This is exactly where I wanted to start but couldn't find the info. If this
doesn't work, it's off to Tri-State a-la KJP. Thanks for the BIG help!

Jimbo

"Rono" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Desrosiers

Hey Reno,
That did the trick, The only side effect was the need to turn off the
captions. Let me know where to send the beer, LOL! Thanks for the tip!
Jimbo