cnctut

Default DPDT Switch

I'm trying to locate a DPDT rocker switch--12V 8amp--for a 3-way
electrical installation for my RV. Any suggestions? Auto parts stores
no help?

Thanks

Tut

Ken Weitzel

cnctut wrote:

I'm trying to locate a DPDT rocker switch--12V 8amp--for a 3-way
electrical installation for my RV. Any suggestions? Auto parts stores
no help?

Thanks

Tut

Hi Tut...

Radio shack...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...uct_id=275-695

Take care.

Ken

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Are you wiring three way or four way? A three way uses two SPDT switches
back to back with two travelers. You only need a DPDT when adding a
third switch.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
NSM

"cnctut" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to locate a DPDT rocker switch--12V 8amp--for a 3-way
electrical installation for my RV. Any suggestions? Auto parts stores
no help?

Sounds like you want a battery changeover switch. Try an RV seller - they'll
point you to places.

cnctut

Thanks everyone--to answer each question--

1. It would be a 3-way switch setup--I have two SPDT switches currently
and would like to add a third.
2. Radio Shack was the first place I tried--the young'ns working there
aren't like days of old--they weren't familiar with the term DPDT--and
had none in stock in the switch area
3. Visited local RV dealer--best they could do was to offer two switchs
to gang together
4. Attempting to move the water pump switch to the kitchen where it
should have been in the first place.

Thanks again

Tut

Ken Weitzel

cnctut wrote:

Thanks everyone--to answer each question--

1. It would be a 3-way switch setup--I have two SPDT switches currently
and would like to add a third.
2. Radio Shack was the first place I tried--the young'ns working there
aren't like days of old--they weren't familiar with the term DPDT--and
had none in stock in the switch area
3. Visited local RV dealer--best they could do was to offer two switchs
to gang together
4. Attempting to move the water pump switch to the kitchen where it
should have been in the first place.

Thanks again

Tut

Hi Tut...

They just don't make them younger folks like they used to

The RS part number is on the link I sent; ask 'em to
order in one or two for you.

Take care.

Ken

Rick

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message news:Btthe.1351838$8l.872444@pd7tw1no...

cnctut wrote:

Thanks everyone--to answer each question--

1. It would be a 3-way switch setup--I have two SPDT switches currently
and would like to add a third.
2. Radio Shack was the first place I tried--the young'ns working there
aren't like days of old--they weren't familiar with the term DPDT--and
had none in stock in the switch area
3. Visited local RV dealer--best they could do was to offer two switchs
to gang together
4. Attempting to move the water pump switch to the kitchen where it
should have been in the first place.

Thanks again

Tut

Hi Tut...

They just don't make them younger folks like they used to

I'm not sure why RS even bothers any more. Most of their
stores are the size of shoeboxes and 99% of the time don't
have what you're looking for.

cnctut

Ken--looks like that switch will work--the RS guys had even given me a
new catalog that I went through with a fine tooth comb but didn't see
the DPDT you found so quickly. I feel silly--thanks again.

Tut

cnctut

Joe
It would be a total of 3 switches working independently.

I miss Jack Handey's comments on SNL--do you have his book? :-)

Tut

NSM

"Rick" wrote in message
k.net...

I'm not sure why RS even bothers any more. Most of their
stores are the size of shoeboxes and 99% of the time don't
have what you're looking for.

"You've got questions - we've got idiots"!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
cnctut wrote:
1. It would be a 3-way switch setup--I have two SPDT switches currently
and would like to add a third.
2. Radio Shack was the first place I tried--the young'ns working there
aren't like days of old--they weren't familiar with the term DPDT--and
had none in stock in the switch area
3. Visited local RV dealer--best they could do was to offer two switchs
to gang together
4. Attempting to move the water pump switch to the kitchen where it
should have been in the first place.

What you appear to need is the same as a domestic lighting intermediate
switch - ie if you need to add a third switch to a two way switched
circuit. These are DPDT types, but with internal strapping and only four
accessible terminals. In the UK, they're often available in 20 amp AC, so
in the US where currents must be greater they might well be ok at 8 amp DC.

Most of the easily available DPDT rockers from UK component suppliers seem
only to give an AC rating.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
cnctut

Dave--

Thanks Dave--I was wondering how interchangeable 120V and 12V switches
are--if it's only an I^2R thing, then I think I'm OK.

Tut

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
cnctut wrote:
Thanks Dave--I was wondering how interchangeable 120V and 12V switches
are--if it's only an I^2R thing, then I think I'm OK.

Basically, I dunno. I've not found a direct correlation between types
which give both specs.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
NSM

"cnctut" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave--

Thanks Dave--I was wondering how interchangeable 120V and 12V switches
are--if it's only an I^2R thing, then I think I'm OK.

Generally they are not. A search of some RV support sites found various
remote controlled switches which might work better for you.

cnctut

NSM--

Thanks--I'm such a novice at this Google search thing--and I'm always
impressed with what folks get find in a matter of seconds. If someone
does makes a remote controlled SPDT switch--that would save me some
significant installation time.

Thanks

Tut

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
cnctut wrote:
Thanks--I'm such a novice at this Google search thing--and I'm always
impressed with what folks get find in a matter of seconds. If someone
does makes a remote controlled SPDT switch--that would save me some
significant installation time.

It's rather easier to find a relay with a DC rating. Then the world's your
oyster in the switch to operate it. But of course it will draw current
when made - perhaps not ideal when running off batteries.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.