rutman

Default Power Wheel 12volts battery convertion :)

Hi guys.

After reading many posts regarding adding a 12v deep cycle battery to
a power wheel jeep ( it currently takes two 6 volts battery and runs
12v motors. hi and low speed ) I have decided to give it a try.

for added safety, can I add an inline fuse to the positive or negative
side of the battery cable lets say a 30amp fuse. So if the battery is
being tax heavily, it should cut out right? is there anything better
I can add for added precautions?

the wiring system it has is rated for a 12v system. I believe it uses
12gaufg wiring as well. Should I just replace all wiring with thicker
ones?

thanks for your inputs

Asimov

"rutman" bravely wrote to "All" (27 Apr 05 01:50:24)
--- on the heady topic of "Power Wheel 12volts battery convertion "

ru From: rutman
ru Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:46665

ru Hi guys.

ru After reading many posts regarding adding a 12v deep cycle battery to
ru a power wheel jeep ( it currently takes two 6 volts battery and runs
ru 12v motors. hi and low speed ) I have decided to give it a try.

ru for added safety, can I add an inline fuse to the positive or negative
ru side of the battery cable lets say a 30amp fuse. So if the battery is
ru being tax heavily, it should cut out right? is there anything better
ru I can add for added precautions?

ru the wiring system it has is rated for a 12v system. I believe it uses
ru 12gaufg wiring as well. Should I just replace all wiring with thicker
ru ones?

I have found a problem with running these with 12 volts. The 6 volt
motors themselves have a nylon drive gear which is supported by a
metal bracket that has a D shaped keyhole matching the motor shaft.
This nylon gear has a tendency to pop out under the extra torque of a
mechanical shock as the motor heats up. Gluing doesn't help as nothing
seems to stick metal to nylon with enough shear strength. I was
considering adding a small 12 volt boxer fan to cool the motors.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Batteries not included.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
can i run 6v ride-on motors on 12v battery? mattel power wheels ones. kk Electronics Repair 17 June 5th 04 06:02 AM
Battery Problem QX4 Solved NSN Home Repair 0 March 31st 04 02:39 PM
Why Won't a Frozen Battery Start a Vehicle. Denny B Electronics Repair 9 February 17th 04 04:42 AM
Car Battery Tips Joseph Meehan Home Repair 7 July 14th 03 10:12 AM