John

Default Modding a range hood fan

We have a Nutone range hood and its fan is incredibly loud (2.3A,
rated at 8 sonnes). Rather than replace the entire unit we'd like to
simply replace the three position fan toggle switch with a rotary
switch or dial, that will hopefully allow us to run the fan at lower
speeds when tons of airflow isn't necessary.

If anyone has done this project before and can recommend a
specific switch we'd appreciate it. We're looking for one that will
fit cleanly in the existing rectangular toggle switch socket (it's about
1 1/8" x 1/2".

Thanks,
John

sofie

easily done with "special" fan motor speed controls.... usually found near
the cheap light dimmers in most electrical departments.... but be very
careful that you do not stall the motor with too slow of a speed.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"John" wrote in message
nk.net...
We have a Nutone range hood and its fan is incredibly loud (2.3A,
rated at 8 sonnes). Rather than replace the entire unit we'd like to
simply replace the three position fan toggle switch with a rotary
switch or dial, that will hopefully allow us to run the fan at lower
speeds when tons of airflow isn't necessary.

If anyone has done this project before and can recommend a
specific switch we'd appreciate it. We're looking for one that will
fit cleanly in the existing rectangular toggle switch socket (it's about
1 1/8" x 1/2".

Thanks,
John

John

Daniel, thanks for the reply. The existing fan and switch
have three wires, does that mean the fan itself is limited to
two speeds? Do they make speed controls that convert
this to a rheostat-type switch?

"sofie" wrote in message ...
easily done with "special" fan motor speed controls.... usually found near
the cheap light dimmers in most electrical departments.... but be very
careful that you do not stall the motor with too slow of a speed.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair

"John" wrote in message
nk.net...
We have a Nutone range hood and its fan is incredibly loud (2.3A,
rated at 8 sonnes). Rather than replace the entire unit we'd like to
simply replace the three position fan toggle switch with a rotary
switch or dial, that will hopefully allow us to run the fan at lower
speeds when tons of airflow isn't necessary.

If anyone has done this project before and can recommend a
specific switch we'd appreciate it. We're looking for one that will
fit cleanly in the existing rectangular toggle switch socket (it's about
1 1/8" x 1/2".

Thanks,
John

NSM

"John" wrote in message
ink.net...
Daniel, thanks for the reply. The existing fan and switch
have three wires, does that mean the fan itself is limited to
two speeds? Do they make speed controls that convert
this to a rheostat-type switch?

Use the high speed wire and the common. The low speed wire just adds extra
inductance in series - tape it up. A decent solid state fan speed control
will have a preset to set the lowest speed.