Asimov

Default High temp. connectors?

"DaveC" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Apr 05 17:31:33)
--- on the heady topic of "High temp. connectors?"

Might capacitive discharge "spot welding" work for this application?

A*s*i*m*o*v

Da From: DaveC
Da Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.misc:18576
Da alt.engineering.electrical:21854 sci.electronics.repair:46454
Da My toaster resurrection project :-)

Da Need to (re)connect the nichrome wire to the insulated, stranded
Da supply wire. The existing (now overheated and useless, due to heat via
Da bad connection) connection is a rivet (stainless?) with the nichrome
Da wrapped around the head, and a brass (looking) crimp on the backside
Da that accepts the supply wire.
Da Barring an original replacement item, what replacements would you
Da recommend? Most crimp ring terminals aren't brass. Should I use brass?
Da A rivet would be difficult to install here. Would a threaded fastener
Da (nut & bolt) be sufficient? Stainless?

Da Thanks,

.... High Voltage Electronics: Life's a glitch, then you fry.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
DaveC writes:
My toaster resurrection project :-)

Need to (re)connect the nichrome wire to the insulated, stranded supply wire.
The existing (now overheated and useless, due to heat via bad connection)
connection is a rivet (stainless?) with the nichrome wrapped around the head,
and a brass (looking) crimp on the backside that accepts the supply wire.

Barring an original replacement item, what replacements would you recommend?
Most crimp ring terminals aren't brass. Should I use brass? A rivet would be
difficult to install here. Would a threaded fastener (nut & bolt) be
sufficient? Stainless?

I needed to repair a 1955 toaster element after someone stuck a
fork in to remove a piece of stuck toast. First time, I used a
small steel washer folded in half and effectively used as a crimp.
That repair lasted about 25 years before the nichrome wire burned
through at the edge of the washer (probably the contact got bad
and it locally overheated). I've recently repaired it again with a
tiny crimp cut off the end of a crimp connection washer, which I
suspect was brass. I scratched the nichrome wire clean where it
went into the crimp, but I don't know if that really makes any
long lasting difference.

If you're playing this game, think carefully what the consequences
of the join breaking are, and the nichrome wire contacting the case
metalwork. In a British earthed toaster, this is not much of a safety
issue, but I wouldn't dare do such a repair on a US toaster which is
likely not earthed anyway, and even if it is, the outlet might not be.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Heating design diagram (preliminary) John Aston UK diy 55 December 10th 04 08:31 PM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
Designing a circuit to control heater output temp depending on temp of an input James Electronics 18 April 7th 04 04:12 PM
JVC colorTV AV-25F1EG high voltage problem? blabla Electronics Repair 4 August 31st 03 02:41 PM