Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Dead HP Pavilion v70 Monitor

Hello,

I'm quite new to electronics repair but I believe I do have a basic
understanding of things. I've spent the better part of today
troubleshooting a dead monitor. The monitor is an HP Pavilion v70,
model number: P3209S, chassis: Tatung C7Es.

I've followed the FAQ a bit and tried to determine what I should do but
I've gotten stuck. Over the past couple of weeks the horizontal
deflection would cut out occasionally (wouldn't come back with a gentle
whack) and would be fine after shutting it off to rest for a few
minutes. Also, the picture's vertical deflection would squash down
about an inch on top and bottom, but this could be fixed with a gentle
tap, so I suspect it was just a loose connection.

A couple days ago it decided that it would not power up at all. There
are no indications of power (no static, no clicks, no lights, etc.)
Upon opening the case and plugging it in, if I listen closely I hear it
clicking quietly like a clock (as in the FAQ.) I've tested the HOT and
it appears to be shorted out and I don't measure voltage on it. I'm
not sure I'm measuring it correctly, but I'm putting my black lead on a
ground and the red lead on each leg of the HOT. I read 0V on each one.

Now, I've come to the conclusion that I should replace the HOT, but I'm
not sure if this is the right course of action, nor am I sure if it's
the full problem. I'd like to know if I've done everything correctly
and what I should do next. I have access to a multimeter, 100MHz
oscilloscope, and an ESR meter. If there is any information that I'm
missing, I'll be happy to give more details if I'm able. I'd
appreciate any help in repairing this monitor.

Thanks!
James Bailey