Stefan Toftevall

Default HP Laserjet III P problem

Hi everyone,
My good old laserprinter suddenly refuse to print with the display
showing: "50-Needs service". Anyone know what is wrong?
I heard somebody say it has got an internal counter, and after a
certain amount of printouts, it display this message though it must
not be anything wrong. The counter needs reseting in some way.
Anyhow, any advice is appreciated,
Regards, Stefan
Lee Babcock

Stefan Toftevall wrote:
Hi everyone,
My good old laserprinter suddenly refuse to print with the display
showing: "50-Needs service". Anyone know what is wrong?
I heard somebody say it has got an internal counter, and after a
certain amount of printouts, it display this message though it must
not be anything wrong. The counter needs reseting in some way.
Anyhow, any advice is appreciated,
Regards, Stefan

This code indicates a problem with the fuser. This model series is
famous for an underrated capacitor in the fuser circuit causing this
code. I'm not a tech, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help
you further on this.

BTW, a simple check on google gives:

http://www.all-laser.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/error50.html

Regards
Lee in Toronto
James Sweet

"Stefan Toftevall" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,
My good old laserprinter suddenly refuse to print with the display
showing: "50-Needs service". Anyone know what is wrong?
I heard somebody say it has got an internal counter, and after a
certain amount of printouts, it display this message though it must
not be anything wrong. The counter needs reseting in some way.
Anyhow, any advice is appreciated,
Regards, Stefan

50 is a fuser error, there can be several causes but 99% of the time it's a
small usually green electrolytic capacitor on the board that controls the
fuser lamp (it's near the power supply). If you get that board out and look,
you may even find that the cap is leaking or bulging. Replace it, reassemble
and you should be good to go. Those are very good printers.

Cubzilla

Yep as others have said

the fuser or the PSU cap = service 50

You can check the fuser bulb with a meter should read 20-30 ohms

Ref the counter and all that crap... thats on the larger range of Laserjets
ie laserjet 5si.. laserjet 8000 etc

Regards Cub

"Stefan Toftevall" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,
My good old laserprinter suddenly refuse to print with the display
showing: "50-Needs service". Anyone know what is wrong?
I heard somebody say it has got an internal counter, and after a
certain amount of printouts, it display this message though it must
not be anything wrong. The counter needs reseting in some way.
Anyhow, any advice is appreciated,
Regards, Stefan

This site should have a repair manual for this. It should show you how
to disassemble and check the components...Do a search for Laserjet 3 or
such...

http://fileshare.eshop.bg/index.php?what=search