Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Default Honest Analysis of Solar Power

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone know where I might find an honest ROI analysis of solar power?

Everything I find is baloney-nosed in favor of the writer's point of
view.

I suspect that solar, if you take away subsidies and tax credits, is a
big-time total loser.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...ovoltaic-cells

excerpt:

Researchers have developed a clever way to turn everyday surfaces into solar
panels: Just cover them in a flexible film treated with spray-on solar
cells.

"My dream is that one day you'll have two technicians with Ghostbusters
backpacks come to your house and spray your roof," University of Toronto's
Illan Kramer says in a news release. And it's not just for the roof of your
house. Spray-on solar works for surfaces ranging from patio furniture to car
tops and airplane wings. You might even be able to use it to power your
tablet.

Kramer and colleagues developed the "sprayLD" system using tiny
light-sensitive materials called colloidal quantum dots (CQDs). Once they're
printed onto a flexible film or bendy plastic, these miniscule
solar-sensitive dots can be used to coat various surfaces. A car roof
wrapped with CQD-coated film can convert enough energy to power three
100-watt light bulbs or 24 compact fluorescents.

The name sprayLD is a play on ALD, or atomic layer deposition, a
manufacturing method where materials are laid down in single one-atom-thick
layers at a time. Until now, CQDs were only incorporated into surfaces
through a slow, expensive process called batch processing, which works like
an assembly-line for chemical coating. Instead, with sprayLD, liquid
containing CQDs is blasted onto flexible surfaces directly--like printing
the news onto rolls of paper. Compared with the assembly-line approach, the
roll-to-roll coating method simplifies the incorporation of solar cells into
existing manufacturing processes. ...

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 15:58:32 -0800, "Bill Bowden"
wrote:

[...]

Interesting. I have no problem with solar where it makes sense. More
and more of our traffic signals like flashing yellow in curves, etc.,
are solar powered.

Of course Arizona is near optimum for available sunlight.

...Jim Thompson

Solar Power Stu Fields Metalworking 2 September 7th 10 06:28 PM
Solar Power Stu Fields Metalworking 127 July 31st 10 10:19 PM
Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants [email protected] UK diy 112 April 6th 10 11:41 AM
Solar Power Grunty Grogan Metalworking 1 July 30th 08 07:47 PM