Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default A simple tool to repair BNC connectors.

I recently won a pair of HP 355 series attenuators on Ebay. All four BNC
connectors were deformed. I considered having a custom tool turned, but
after a few minutes though I came up with something I could make from
items on hand. Three spare air hose fittings from Harbor Freight were
threaded together to give me the tool I needed, and to provide enough
length to have the required leverage needed to smooth out the dents.
Simply push it into the connector and gently roll it against the dent to
straighten the connector's wall. Don't do it too much, or you will
create a very sharp burr on the edge.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Attached Thumbnails
A simple tool to repair BNC connectors.-bnc-repair-tool-jpg  A simple tool to repair BNC connectors.-bnc-repair-tool-b-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I recently won a pair of HP 355 series attenuators on Ebay. All four BNC
connectors were deformed. I considered having a custom tool turned, but
after a few minutes though I came up with something I could make from
items on hand. Three spare air hose fittings from Harbor Freight were
threaded together to give me the tool I needed, and to provide enough
length to have the required leverage needed to smooth out the dents.
Simply push it into the connector and gently roll it against the dent to
straighten the connector's wall. Don't do it too much, or you will
create a very sharp burr on the edge.

Nice!
What is the difference between the 2 views?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Robert Baer wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I recently won a pair of HP 355 series attenuators on Ebay. All four BNC
connectors were deformed. I considered having a custom tool turned, but
after a few minutes though I came up with something I could make from
items on hand. Three spare air hose fittings from Harbor Freight were
threaded together to give me the tool I needed, and to provide enough
length to have the required leverage needed to smooth out the dents.
Simply push it into the connector and gently roll it against the dent to
straighten the connector's wall. Don't do it too much, or you will
create a very sharp burr on the edge.

Nice!
What is the difference between the 2 views?

Taken from slightly different angles, to try to get a decent photo. They
are scaled down quite a bit from the originals.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I recently won a pair of HP 355 series attenuators on Ebay. All four BNC
connectors were deformed. I considered having a custom tool turned, but
after a few minutes though I came up with something I could make from
items on hand. Three spare air hose fittings from Harbor Freight were
threaded together to give me the tool I needed, and to provide enough
length to have the required leverage needed to smooth out the dents.
Simply push it into the connector and gently roll it against the dent to
straighten the connector's wall. Don't do it too much, or you will
create a very sharp burr on the edge.

That's a clever idea. I discovered that the same tool may be useful to
clean up damaged RCA plugs, too.