Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Interesting Article on Grade Inflation

Interesting Article on Grade Inflation...

http://tinyurl.com/n2jzxtp

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 12/16/2013 9:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Interesting Article on Grade Inflation...

http://tinyurl.com/n2jzxtp

...Jim Thompson

"Last week, the Harvard Crimson reported that the median grade at
Harvard College is an A-, and the most common grade awarded is a
straight A."

http://www.goacta.org/the_forum/shin...rade_inflation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:24:51 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 12/16/2013 9:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Interesting Article on Grade Inflation...

http://tinyurl.com/n2jzxtp

...Jim Thompson

"Last week, the Harvard Crimson reported that the median grade at
Harvard College is an A-, and the most common grade awarded is a
straight A."

http://www.goacta.org/the_forum/shin...rade_inflation

Yep. Everyone is _equal_ under communism. So no one strives. And it
shows, from OECD...

"Overall, according to the U.S. Department of Education, American
students' rankings in math have slipped from 24th to 29th compared to
the last test in 2010. In science, they've gone from 19th to 22nd, and
from 10th to 20th in reading."

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:24:51 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 12/16/2013 9:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Interesting Article on Grade Inflation...

http://tinyurl.com/n2jzxtp

...Jim Thompson

"Last week, the Harvard Crimson reported that the median grade at
Harvard College is an A-, and the most common grade awarded is a
straight A."

http://www.goacta.org/the_forum/shin...rade_inflation

Yep. Everyone is _equal_ under communism. So no one strives. And it
shows, from OECD...

"Overall, according to the U.S. Department of Education, American
students' rankings in math have slipped from 24th to 29th compared to
the last test in 2010. In science, they've gone from 19th to 22nd, and
from 10th to 20th in reading."

...Jim Thompson

When I retired, I was offered a position in the mathematics dept. at
UMO. One of the reasons I did not take it was trying to deal with this
sort of crap.

Larry
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

Interesting Article on Grade Inflation...

http://tinyurl.com/n2jzxtp

...Jim Thompson

Its a shame we can't use a technique from AI called back propagation. A
professor's rating, including the reliability of his grading, is based upon
the eventual outcome of his students.

A prof cranks out a lot of capable students who make it in industry and he
gets a higher weighting average then the bozos who crank out the
knuckle-draggers. Statistical methods spread the blame (or credit)
backwards evenly throughout a student's academic history. Eventually, high
value nodes (better teachers) will accumulate higher scores if they turn
out a statistically higher number of successes.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article , To-Email-Use-
says...

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:24:51 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 12/16/2013 9:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Interesting Article on Grade Inflation...

http://tinyurl.com/n2jzxtp

...Jim Thompson

"Last week, the Harvard Crimson reported that the median grade at
Harvard College is an A-, and the most common grade awarded is a
straight A."

http://www.goacta.org/the_forum/shin...rade_inflation

Yep. Everyone is _equal_ under communism. So no one strives. And it
shows, from OECD...

"Overall, according to the U.S. Department of Education, American
students' rankings in math have slipped from 24th to 29th compared to
the last test in 2010. In science, they've gone from 19th to 22nd, and
from 10th to 20th in reading."

...Jim Thompson

Curiously a friend of mine has just started teaching at a local
University. She was in a panic to get her grades in on time. Well today
her lament was that she was now, less than 24 hours later getting
complaints from students over their grades.

I told her that if it ever occured that she wasn't receiving complaints
it would mean she was doing something wrong.