Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

Default TV Back-light Spark Gap? Update.

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 07:59:43 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have a cheapy 19" Philips TV hanging on my office wall.

It's taken to making a popping noise, suspiciously sounding like a
spark gap.

I'm pretty sure this is CFL back-lit.

Anyone knowledgeable of what to do about this... adjustment to look
for, etc ?

Update: While on a phone call I noted that the muted TV has no pop,
and the screen never did "blink", so the popping noise must have
another cause.

...Jim Thompson

Well you're a semi engineer, must be shot noise !

Jamie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:37:37 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Update: While on a phone call I noted that the muted TV has no pop,
and the screen never did "blink", so the popping noise must have
another cause.
...Jim Thompson

Welcome to the wonderful world of consumer electronics
troubleshooting. Could you disclose the Philips model number? You'll
get to earn your new 55" flat screen TV by first playing detective.

Find a portable AM radio. Tune it to a blank place on the AM dial so
that you hear only hiss or maybe a really weak station. Put it near
the TV. Do you also hear a popping noise on the AM radio? If so,
it's probably coming from internal arcing somewhere inside the TV. If
not, it's something else.

Duz the popping sound happen on all channels or only one channel?
Is the TV setup for OTA (over the air) TV, or are you using a cable,
satellite, or screaming media box? If you're using a box, turn it off
and see if the popping sounds go away. It might be coming from a
converter, not from the TV. If you're getting your audio from a
converter box, try running the audio output to something else, like a
hi-fi or headphone to determine its origin.

Duz the TV have different input modes, such as composite video, HDMI,
DVI, component video, VGA, or S-video? Try some of these modes and
see the popping sounds are in all the modes or just some of them.

The basic idea is to isolate sections of the TV and attached
components. Then, to replace or bypass sections until the culprit can
be determined.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Borrowing a line from "The Sting", I know how to get drunk... and
debug circuits... I grew up in a radio and TV repair shop.

I was just looking for easy answers. At my income level toss and
replace is often the least costly.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

If its in the audio, perhaps you've got a cap in there that's going bad.
Look for electrolytics that are swelling.

--
Paul Hovnanian
If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,