Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Anyone have any schematics for Electric Fencers

I'm particularly looking for one for a Blitzer - model 8555A, but any
of the SCR driven ones should help. It contains a circuit board with
a SCR and another diode that works with the SCR (is that a diac?)
Has a capacitor discharge to a high voltage transformer.

This is probably a fencer from the 90's. The company was sold to
Zareba who no longer offers parts or a schematic.

James

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:34:47 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

Google for "electric fence schematic" and take your pick.

No **** !!! Like I didn't already know how to use google.
I would have not asked on here if there was anything useful on google.
I spent a couple hours googling and found nothing but homemade ones
made from car ignition coils and even more crude ones. I'm looking
for a commercial one, particularly what I said in my orig. post.

wrote in message
.. .
I'm particularly looking for one for a Blitzer - model 8555A, but any
of the SCR driven ones should help. It contains a circuit board with
a SCR and another diode that works with the SCR (is that a diac?)
Has a capacitor discharge to a high voltage transformer.

This is probably a fencer from the 90's. The company was sold to
Zareba who no longer offers parts or a schematic.

James

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

No offense meant but you would be surprised at the number of folks who post
requests here and have *not* checked on google yet.
You did not clearly state your intent other than for the schematic so I
thought that general information could be inferred from several of the
schematics that came up on Google. If your are emotionally invested enough
in your charger, you could reverse engineer it and draw up a schematic. I've
done that plenty of times. Much more expedient though to either build or buy
a new unit.

The basic units have a DC bus of a few hundred volts that charge a capacitor
which in turn gets dumped into the primary of a high voltage transformer by
an SCR or DIAC (as you wrote). For AC line powered units, usually a an input
transformer and diodes generate the bus voltage. For DC powered units,
sometimes there is an inverter that steps up the battery voltage to a few
hundred volts. Others just use a transistor to switch a high voltage
transformer directly from battery voltage similar to an old school
automobile (kettering) ignition system.

Oppie
EE (NY, USA )

wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:34:47 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

Google for "electric fence schematic" and take your pick.

No **** !!! Like I didn't already know how to use google.
I would have not asked on here if there was anything useful on google.
I spent a couple hours googling and found nothing but homemade ones
made from car ignition coils and even more crude ones. I'm looking
for a commercial one, particularly what I said in my orig. post.

wrote in message
. ..
I'm particularly looking for one for a Blitzer - model 8555A, but any
of the SCR driven ones should help. It contains a circuit board with
a SCR and another diode that works with the SCR (is that a diac?)
Has a capacitor discharge to a high voltage transformer.

This is probably a fencer from the 90's. The company was sold to
Zareba who no longer offers parts or a schematic.

James

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:08:17 -0400, "Oppie" wrote:

[...]

When I designed a commercial one decades ago, there are also requirements
on pulse rate, energy per pulse, perhaps peak voltage too, to take care
of.

An electric fencer is easy to make, but meeting the rules (if any, where
you are) takes a little more effort. I do remember that a sheep's brain
will lock, and the sheep starve in contact with the fence, if the pulse
rate is much faster than 80 per minute, for example.

I think we had a pulse 5kV and 5mj, fast enough that if you touched it
with your hand the pulse was over by the time it reached your shoulder.

I touched it once, never again

Grant.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Sometimes a stranger wanders in to our Usenet culture not knowing that
our easy going banter is not intended to ridicule or intimidate. A
barb now and then is generally meant to be helpful not hurtful.

The usual reaction they have can be recognized as defensive or
aggressive. Hopefully, they will recognize that some of the scolding
is in order and accept it gracefully. Once recognized as a "Clueless
Newbie" Our Collective usually offers appropriate advice.

I think every Clueless Newbie brings along some areas of experience
and expertise that is of value to the rest. I hope the anger
dissipates quickly and the sharing resumes.

It works for me...

[...]

.. .

wrote in message
I'm particularly looking for one for a Blitzer - model 8555A, but any
of the SCR driven ones should help. It contains a circuit board with
a SCR and another diode that works with the SCR (is that a diac?)
Has a capacitor discharge to a high voltage transformer.

This is probably a fencer from the 90's. The company was sold to
Zareba who no longer offers parts or a schematic.

James

John Ferrell W8CCW
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Very interesting...
I have been dabbling with electricity since early childhood but I have
never had the urge to touch an electric fence. I understand there are
individuals who feel the need to urinate on one but only once!

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:40:03 +1000, Grant wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Ferrell" wrote in message
Very interesting...

snip
I understand there are individuals who feel the need to urinate on one
but only once!

I think that Mythbusters on Discovery Science channel busted that one. iirc,
the stream breaks into droplets and the circuit becomes discontinuous. Not
that I'd like to try disproving their findings... had a kidney stone last
week which was enough pain for a while now...

here you go, I was wrong.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...05a414b371d0b0