Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Need help with a Powerful Yorx Receiver - Relay problem

wrote:
I got a (huge) Yorx receiver at an auction. I paid a whopping $2 for
it. It's a huge receiver with a real wood (plywood) cabinet. It
comes with AM-FM radio, casette, and of course amplifier. When I
plugged it in, nothing happened, but all of a sudden the dial lights
lit up, but went back off. After opening it I discovered that there
is a relay on the board that was showing some arcing and a little
smoke. I took the plastic cover off the relay and momentarily forced
the contacts together. That is when I heard some sound form the
speakers and the whole dial lit up. I decided to risk blowing
something by jamming a plastic knife into the relay and forcing the
contacts together.

I found the radio works, the tape deck is dead, and the amplifier has
awesome sound with a deep and clear bass. I know Yorx is no top of
the line stuff, but this receiver was likely one of their own top of
the line receivers. Its probably from the 80s, and it's well built.
I dont need the tape deck, and really dont care much about the radio
either. I just want the amplifier, which is far superior to the
stereo I have been using, on the same speakers. At the same time, I
don want to spend a lot on it.

Aside from the dead tape deck and one broken knob on the front panel,
all I need to bring life back to this power amp is that relay. The
relay appears to be a triple pole double throw (nine contacts), plus
the input. However, it's soldered to the board, so I will need one
that fits, not to mention that I have no idea what the imput voltage
is, and it looks like there are more than 2 feeds to the input. (hard
to tell for sure due to all the contacts on the board near it).

From what I ma seeing, it looks like this is NOT a relay on the AC
(home outlet) cord, but rather is after the transformer, rectifier,
and some other stuff. This makes me believe that the purpose is to
shut down the whole receiver upon overload, to protect the output
chips. (This unit has a large output with lots of heatsinking.).
Because of this, I thought it would be best that I not just bypass
this relay and put a switch on the power cord.

Here is the problems

1. I can not find a model number anywhere on it. It just does not
exist. It just says "YORX AM-FM Multiplex Receiver - Stereo casette
recorder". In the front panel.

2. How can I determine the needs in this relay? And where can I get
one? Is Yorx still in business, and where do I contact them?
(I looked onGoogle and Ebay to see if I could find a photo of this
receiver (to determine the model). I found nothing.

Can anyone help with identifying this receiver? Or supplying a
website for Yorx? Or determining the relay to get, and where?
If I can ID it, I'd hope to get a schematic....

This thing has one hell of a powerful and clean sounding power amp, so
I dont mind spending a few bucks on it (within reason).

I can post photos somewhere online. I guess there are some websites
for photo posting. (I dont go on the web much, I prefer usenet rather
than all the ads and junk on the web).

Thanks

Mister Friendly

Usually there's information printed on the plastic cover of the relay.
Failing that, you can measure the voltage to the coil to determine
that spec, then buy a 3PDT relay that fits with a coil of the same
voltage and the highest contact rating you can get. Failing that,
you can jury rig a 3PDT relay. You'll need to figure out how the
existing relay is energized - sort of reverse engineering the
circuit.

Ed
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

[...]

From what I ma seeing, it looks like this is NOT a relay on the AC
[...]

Need help with a Powerful Yorx Receiver - Relay problem [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 March 26th 10 01:23 PM
Relay problem Mike Home Repair 15 November 19th 07 03:29 AM
How powerful a bandsaw motor is powerful enough? Toller Woodworking 38 December 1st 06 02:17 PM
Yamaha R-900 Receiver Protective circuit relay question [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 December 31st 04 02:57 PM
RCA Colortrack TV -help with relay problem ? mrhuntnpeck Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 04 04:14 PM