Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Mixed-Signal, Bipolar vs CMOS

Mixed-Signal, Bipolar vs CMOS....

http://electronicdesign.com/tabid/57...lication=?nl=1

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:01:54 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Mixed-Signal, Bipolar vs CMOS....

http://electronicdesign.com/tabid/57/default.aspx?

topic=three_industry_leaders_track_analog_chip_tre nds&catpath=&fltrTitle=&fltrSummary=&fltrPublicati on=?
nl=1

...Jim Thompson

"and analog-circuit wizards like Bob Pease are growing scarce".

Oh good -- maybe we'll get some analog-circuit wizards that actually do
real things instead of writing stupid self-centered columns for industry
rags.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:50:18 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:01:54 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Mixed-Signal, Bipolar vs CMOS....

http://electronicdesign.com/tabid/57/default.aspx?

topic=three_industry_leaders_track_analog_chip_tr ends&catpath=&fltrTitle=&fltrSummary=&fltrPublicat ion=?
nl=1

...Jim Thompson

"and analog-circuit wizards like Bob Pease are growing scarce".

Oh good -- maybe we'll get some analog-circuit wizards that actually do
real things instead of writing stupid self-centered columns for industry
rags.

Yep ;-)

My very thought.

However, there are many folk (quite a few of them seem to lurk here
:-), that equate publication with competence.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:01:54 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Mixed-Signal, Bipolar vs CMOS....

http://electronicdesign.com/tabid/57/default.aspx?

topic=three_industry_leaders_track_analog_chip_t rends&catpath=&fltrTitle=&fltrSummary=&fltrPublica tion=?
nl=1

...Jim Thompson

"and analog-circuit wizards like Bob Pease are growing scarce".

Oh good -- maybe we'll get some analog-circuit wizards that actually do
real things instead of writing stupid self-centered columns for industry
rags.

Yep ;-)

My very thought.

However, there are many folk (quite a few of them seem to lurk here :-),
that equate publication with competence.

Publication certainly indicates competence _at publishing_. And it's a
way to show off your competence (if you're wondering what sort of control
systems work I can do, you can go read the articles section of my web
site, or my book).

But yes, any idiot who writes well can get published.

(And I don't know that Bob Pease is necessarily that bad a chip designer
-- I just know that if I ever see an article from him titled "What's all
this Colonoscopy stuff, anyhow?" I'm probably not going to read it).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Bought it when it first came out :-)

But yes, any idiot who writes well can get published.

(And I don't know that Bob Pease is necessarily that bad a chip designer
-- I just know that if I ever see an article from him titled "What's all
this Colonoscopy stuff, anyhow?" I'm probably not going to read it).

Pease was perhaps a good designer at one point in time. Now I fear
he's become a wee-bit demented... like Slowman, trying to re-live his
past :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

:-(

...Jim Thompson

Yes, but you're really not in my target audience -- unless you're
demented enough to declare an ADC/processor/DAC chain an "analog
component".

(I'm not sure you couldn't get by perfectly well without it even so).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

I do mixed analog-digital all the time. I even recently designed a
10-bit SAR-style A-to-D, including designing the logic to handle the
sequential events.

unless you're
demented enough to declare an ADC/processor/DAC chain an "analog
component".

(I'm not sure you couldn't get by perfectly well without it even so).

Indeed! I buy books hand-over-fist... if the book gives me just one
good idea it's a good buy!

Contrary to a lot of opinion floating around here, I'm quite
up-to-date on integrated technologies.

I doubt that there are any lurkers here that could keep up with me
doing analog design except, perhaps, Goldstein.

I pride myself in finding elegant solutions to ******* problems :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

Pease was perhaps a good designer at one point in time. Now I fear
he's become a wee-bit demented... like Slowman, trying to re-live his
past :-(

No one should have to re-live Sloman's past. Not even him.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.