Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default PostScript Processing Question

I found a way to concatenate multiple PostScript files, add a special
header and footer, and end up with a single file that can be converted
to PDF.

I use this to collect data from 50 or more simulation runs onto a
single graph.

Problem: Resulting PDF is HUGE, because, for example, the grid and its
scales are repeated 50 or more times.

Anyone know of a cute way to find duplicates and delete them?

I have UltraEdit v14 at my disposal, though I would consider
purchasing something else if it were "slick" ;-)

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
I found a way to concatenate multiple PostScript files, add a special
header and footer, and end up with a single file that can be converted
to PDF.

I use this to collect data from 50 or more simulation runs onto a
single graph.

Problem: Resulting PDF is HUGE, because, for example, the grid and its
scales are repeated 50 or more times.

Anyone know of a cute way to find duplicates and delete them?

I have UltraEdit v14 at my disposal, though I would consider
purchasing something else if it were "slick" ;-)

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Why not output the data as ASCII and use Gnuplot to make the plots? You
only need to figure out the Gnuplot script once.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 16:19:28 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I found a way to concatenate multiple PostScript files, add a special
header and footer, and end up with a single file that can be converted
to PDF.

I use this to collect data from 50 or more simulation runs onto a
single graph.

Problem: Resulting PDF is HUGE, because, for example, the grid and its
scales are repeated 50 or more times.

Anyone know of a cute way to find duplicates and delete them?

I have UltraEdit v14 at my disposal, though I would consider
purchasing something else if it were "slick" ;-)

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Why not output the data as ASCII and use Gnuplot to make the plots? You
only need to figure out the Gnuplot script once.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Tell me more!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Gnuplot is a script-driven plotting program, http://www.gnuplot.info.
You make a script that reads an ASCII data file and plots it any way you
like. Once you have it set up the way you want, you just change the
name of the data files and away you go. This takes a bit of
experimenting, but there are a _lot_ of examples on the website.

You can do simple data manipulation, e.g. sums, differences, products,
and absolute values. If you want to do any serious processing of the
data before plotting, Gnuplot is also the native plot package of GNU
Octave, which is an open-source Matlab clone.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I'll give it a test drive.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
I found a way to concatenate multiple PostScript files, add a special
header and footer, and end up with a single file that can be converted
to PDF.

I use this to collect data from 50 or more simulation runs onto a
single graph.

Problem: Resulting PDF is HUGE, because, for example, the grid and its
scales are repeated 50 or more times.

Anyone know of a cute way to find duplicates and delete them?

I have UltraEdit v14 at my disposal, though I would consider
purchasing something else if it were "slick" ;-)

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

If you do a lot of this, i would recommend writing a program to find
duplicates (and delete them).
Might even take commonly used sections and write canned "subroutines"
that can be called umpteen times inside the PS file (/JTscale1 {blah
blah} def).
As you know, these "subroutines" can also be in an external file.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

What, no Windows GUI overlay ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

There's a Windows app that does the display. I usually use it under
Cygwin, which has a separate X11 display program. But for making
Postscript you don't need a display at all. (I use ghostview or ps2pdf
from the Ghostscript package to make pdfs when needed.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

I found a way to concatenate multiple PostScript files, add a special
header and footer, and end up with a single file that can be converted
to PDF.

I use this to collect data from 50 or more simulation runs onto a
single graph.

Problem: Resulting PDF is HUGE, because, for example, the grid and its
scales are repeated 50 or more times.

Anyone know of a cute way to find duplicates and delete them?

As a *general* problem, I believe it's unfeasible to solve in a
complete way, due to the Turing-complete nature of PostScript.

As a specific problem, for combining graphs generated by a particular
program, it'll depend on how that program generates the graphs (e.g.
the grids and scales). If it spits out PostScript which includes
graph-and-scale-generating PostScript procs (e.g. if it has a library
that it just includes) you can probably use Perl or some similar
string-and-pattern-friendly language to strip out the library
inclusion in all but the first image, and just re-invoke the procs in
subsequent pages. On the other hand, if the program "open-codes" the
graphs and scales, you'll have a more complex pattern-recognition
procedure to write.

You could try running the script through Distiller or a similar
PostScript-to-PostScript optimizer, and see if that helps.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO