Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Jim Thompson, any compander yet?

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:15:50 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

I bought a cheapy Audiovox to test the theory, worked, but noticeable
"attack" clunking.

So I'm going to use the Audiovox for talk radio in my office (Fox
commercials are atrociously boosted, at least on the webcast), and buy
something nicer, like dBx for the theater system.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:15:50 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

I bought a cheapy Audiovox to test the theory, worked, but noticeable
"attack" clunking.

So I'm going to use the Audiovox for talk radio in my office (Fox
commercials are atrociously boosted, at least on the webcast), and buy
something nicer, like dBx for the theater system.

How about building an inverse squelch for the commercials? If the
get too loud, they are muted.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:58:48 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:15:50 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

I bought a cheapy Audiovox to test the theory, worked, but noticeable
"attack" clunking.

So I'm going to use the Audiovox for talk radio in my office (Fox
commercials are atrociously boosted, at least on the webcast), and buy
something nicer, like dBx for the theater system.

How about building an inverse squelch for the commercials? If the
get too loud, they are muted.

Good idea.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:15:50 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

I bought a cheapy Audiovox to test the theory, worked, but noticeable
"attack" clunking.

So I'm going to use the Audiovox for talk radio in my office (Fox
commercials are atrociously boosted, at least on the webcast), and buy
something nicer, like dBx for the theater system.

How about building an inverse squelch for the commercials? If the
get too loud, they are muted.

Good idea.

Use a compander to expand the compressed audio before feeding the
squelch, and that will catch the highly compressed crap you can't
understand, too.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:15:50 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

I bought a cheapy Audiovox to test the theory, worked, but noticeable
"attack" clunking.

So I'm going to use the Audiovox for talk radio in my office (Fox
commercials are atrociously boosted, at least on the webcast), and buy
something nicer, like dBx for the theater system.

How about building an inverse squelch for the commercials? If the
get too loud, they are muted.

Good idea.

Use a compander to expand the compressed audio before feeding the
squelch, and that will catch the highly compressed crap you can't
understand, too.

I'd build something myself, but I'm too busy right now. After this
project completes I'll take a look at companding. Years ago I _did_
do some designs for the predecessor of THAT Corp.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:15:50 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

I bought a cheapy Audiovox to test the theory, worked, but noticeable
"attack" clunking.

So I'm going to use the Audiovox for talk radio in my office (Fox
commercials are atrociously boosted, at least on the webcast), and buy
something nicer, like dBx for the theater system.

...Jim Thompson

Just saw this one in a MCM electronics mailing

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-9635 for $42.95.

Bad news- one more wall-wart to mount somewhere.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message ...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:15:50 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

I bought a cheapy Audiovox to test the theory, worked, but noticeable
"attack" clunking.

So I'm going to use the Audiovox for talk radio in my office (Fox
commercials are atrociously boosted, at least on the webcast), and buy
something nicer, like dBx for the theater system.

...Jim Thompson

Just saw this one in a MCM electronics mailing

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-9635 for $42.95.

Bad news- one more wall-wart to mount somewhere.

GregS had posted this one in the other thread. ;-)

I'm thinking about getting one to try out.

Garberstreet Electronics
http://www.garberstreet.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 1 May 2009 15:39:58 -0400, "Garberstreet Electronics"
wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message ...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:15:50 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Just wondering if you built a compander (or compressor) for your tv?
If so can you tell us about it. I'd like to install one on my tv.
Mike

I bought a cheapy Audiovox to test the theory, worked, but noticeable
"attack" clunking.

So I'm going to use the Audiovox for talk radio in my office (Fox
commercials are atrociously boosted, at least on the webcast), and buy
something nicer, like dBx for the theater system.

...Jim Thompson

Just saw this one in a MCM electronics mailing

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-9635 for $42.95.

Very same as the Audiovox, different label. Thump, thump :-(

Bad news- one more wall-wart to mount somewhere.

I bought several of those "octopus" cords to solve that.

Necessary because my theater recesses in the walls are 3' deep to
handle a 15-year-old rear-projection TV below. So it's a hassle to
plug stuff in, unless you have _really_ long arms ;-)