Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Patio Thermometer Bi-Metal Mechanism Replacement

I have a nice big piece of stone art work that has a bi-metal
thermometer (and a clock) mechanism built-in.

The bi-metal has died (too many 120°F day ?:-).

Anyone know where to obtain such a mechanism?

Surfing only produces complete units, not just the mechanism.

Ran onto a posted thread with similar need... NO, nada, none,

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

I have a nice big piece of stone art work that has a bi-metal
thermometer (and a clock) mechanism built-in.

The bi-metal has died (too many 120°F day ?:-).

Anyone know where to obtain such a mechanism?

Surfing only produces complete units, not just the mechanism.

Ran onto a posted thread with similar need... NO, nada, none,

You might try searching some woodworking or crafts stores and look for
kits for thermometer, barometer, hygrometer stations.

Here's one:

http://www1.rockler.com/product.cfm?...co okietest=1

You might hane to buy a complete unit and pul the mechanism out, but for
$8, you might not get a mechanism much cheaper.

The problem I see is that these units have a fixed degrees of rotation
per degree temp ratio. You may have trouble finding one that matches the
face of an existing instrument.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Insert witty message here

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:12:09 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I have a nice big piece of stone art work that has a bi-metal
thermometer (and a clock) mechanism built-in.

The bi-metal has died (too many 120°F day ?:-).

Anyone know where to obtain such a mechanism?

Surfing only produces complete units, not just the mechanism.

Ran onto a posted thread with similar need... NO, nada, none,

You might try searching some woodworking or crafts stores and look for
kits for thermometer, barometer, hygrometer stations.

Here's one:

http://www1.rockler.com/product.cfm?...co okietest=1

You might have to buy a complete unit and pul the mechanism out, but for
$8, you might not get a mechanism much cheaper.

That's what I was thinking, as a back-up move.

The problem I see is that these units have a fixed degrees of rotation
per degree temp ratio. You may have trouble finding one that matches the
face of an existing instrument.

Already made me a cardboard template that I carry with me ;-) A
preliminary shopping tour shows that it must be a Taylor bi-metal
element. But I haven't yet found a sturdy one... everything is
plastic, without the bi-metal encased. I may have to patch-up the
existing one. Its problem is a warped housing (from the heat ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

If the mechanism is still OK, find someone with a small mill and have a new
enclosure made (metal). That's what I'd do (always looking for an excuse to
make metal shavings ;-)).

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:33:46 -0500, legg wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:59:45 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have a nice big piece of stone art work that has a bi-metal
thermometer (and a clock) mechanism built-in.

The bi-metal has died (too many 120°F day ?:-).

Anyone know where to obtain such a mechanism?

Surfing only produces complete units, not just the mechanism.

Ran onto a posted thread with similar need... NO, nada, none,

...Jim Thompson

I'd contact the 'artist' who put it there. He/she might not be so
hesitant to replace the entire assembly.

RL

I bought it in a store around 15 years ago, and it's unsigned :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

"What would happen to [Obama's] vanity if he didnt have us to
throw alms to? What would become of his strength if he didnt have
weaker people to dominate? What would he do with himself if he
didnt keep us around as dependents? Its quite alright, really,
Im not criticizing him, its just a law of human nature."

-Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged"

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
I have a nice big piece of stone art work that has a bi-metal
thermometer (and a clock) mechanism built-in.

The bi-metal has died (too many 120°F day ?:-).

Anyone know where to obtain such a mechanism?

Surfing only produces complete units, not just the mechanism.

Ran onto a posted thread with similar need... NO, nada, none,

...Jim Thompson

Buy a unit (second hand?) and take the pieces you need
out of it.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I have a nice big piece of stone art work that has a bi-metal
thermometer (and a clock) mechanism built-in.

The bi-metal has died (too many 120°F day ?:-).

Anyone know where to obtain such a mechanism?

Surfing only produces complete units, not just the mechanism.

Ran onto a posted thread with similar need... NO, nada, none,

...Jim Thompson

I'd contact the 'artist' who put it there. He/she might not be so
hesitant to replace the entire assembly.

RL

I bought it in a store around 15 years ago, and it's unsigned :-(

Do you have any gremlins running around your place? I figure that's
the only method where bimetalic strips wear out (or actually get bent
out of shape).

From memory, they are as easily re-bent back into shape and alignment,
though they'll never look like they used to - the bending
characteristic is preserved pretty faithfully. It's not like the
spring on a jeweled pivot - also a gremlin attractor.

RL

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I have a nice big piece of stone art work that has a bi-metal
thermometer (and a clock) mechanism built-in.

The bi-metal has died (too many 120°F day ?:-).

Anyone know where to obtain such a mechanism?

Surfing only produces complete units, not just the mechanism.

Ran onto a posted thread with similar need... NO, nada, none,

...Jim Thompson

I'd contact the 'artist' who put it there. He/she might not be so
hesitant to replace the entire assembly.

RL

I bought it in a store around 15 years ago, and it's unsigned :-(

Do you have any gremlins running around your place? I figure that's
the only method where bimetalic strips wear out (or actually get bent
out of shape).

If you were keeping notes, "The plastic housing warped".

From memory, they are as easily re-bent back into shape and alignment,
though they'll never look like they used to - the bending
characteristic is preserved pretty faithfully. It's not like the
spring on a jeweled pivot - also a gremlin attractor.

RL

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I have a nice big piece of stone art work that has a bi-metal
thermometer (and a clock) mechanism built-in.

The bi-metal has died (too many 120°F day ?:-).

Anyone know where to obtain such a mechanism?

Surfing only produces complete units, not just the mechanism.

Ran onto a posted thread with similar need... NO, nada, none,

...Jim Thompson

I'd contact the 'artist' who put it there. He/she might not be so
hesitant to replace the entire assembly.

RL

I bought it in a store around 15 years ago, and it's unsigned :-(

Do you have any gremlins running around your place? I figure that's
the only method where bimetalic strips wear out (or actually get bent
out of shape).

If you were keeping notes, "The plastic housing warped".

From memory, they are as easily re-bent back into shape and alignment,
though they'll never look like they used to - the bending
characteristic is preserved pretty faithfully. It's not like the
spring on a jeweled pivot - also a gremlin attractor.

RL

...Jim Thompson

I just found a web site selling the 'movement'. Looks like the span
is different, but the housing size is the same, so I'll just drop the
old bi-metal into the new housing.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Can you put some sort of coating onto the housing to keep it from warping
again? Maybe take it to one of those shops that bronze baby shoes and put a
thin metal coating over the outside?

Jim

I just found a web site selling the 'movement'. Looks like the span
is different, but the housing size is the same, so I'll just drop the
old bi-metal into the new housing.

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-03-29, RST Engineering (jw) wrote:
Can you put some sort of coating onto the housing to keep it from warping
again? Maybe take it to one of those shops that bronze baby shoes and put a
thin metal coating over the outside?

AFAIK those shops do an investment casting, and the product is solid
bronze, the same trick will work with a for plastic, expanded polystyrene,
or cardboard pattern.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:17:34 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

Can you put some sort of coating onto the housing to keep it from warping
again? Maybe take it to one of those shops that bronze baby shoes and put a
thin metal coating over the outside?

Jim

I just found a web site selling the 'movement'. Looks like the span
is different, but the housing size is the same, so I'll just drop the
old bi-metal into the new housing.

...Jim Thompson

The "housing" is a shallow cup-shaped piece of plastic that warped and
cracked around the edges.

I'm contemplating adding a roll-a-shield for the west end of the patio
to keep it completely in the shade in the summer. That ought to keep
it from reaching excessive temperatures.

...Jim Thompson