Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Fuji Finepix A330 DSCF0409.JPG [1/3]

Nice Picture.
Gave me a chance to try out the new Picasa3 that was released by Google this
week. This version has a few more edit options but allows one to select
Picasa as the default picture viewer (plus capture and edit) within your
email client. Very nice.

What type / gauge wire was used for the rework? That appears to be magnet
wire (melt-off insulation). I never tried that for rework. Aside from not
having to strip the wire, what's the benefit?
I've used awg30 kynar wire for most of my kluges.

Thanks - Oppie

"Arie de Muynck" wrote in message
l.nl...
An example of what an older camera with proper lenzes can do (Fuji Finepix
A330, 3 Mpixel, macro setting).

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" ...
Nice Picture.
Gave me a chance to try out the new Picasa3 that was released by Google
this week. This version has a few more edit options but allows one to
select Picasa as the default picture viewer (plus capture and edit) within
your email client. Very nice.

What type / gauge wire was used for the rework? That appears to be magnet
wire (melt-off insulation). I never tried that for rework. Aside from not
having to strip the wire, what's the benefit?
I've used awg30 kynar wire for most of my kluges.

Thanks - Oppie

Yes, it's 'melt-off' wire (polyurethane isolation). I'm not sure about the
size, we have some spools and take the wire most fit for the job. And we use
mm sizes, not AWG :-). AFAIR the pins are 0.5 mm pitch, so you can measure
it on the picture.

B.T.W., this particular job was not done by me but by a colleague that is 5
years younger. I can still do it, even at 56, but it takes me double the
time and a pair of +3 glasses. It was a one-off job to check the quality of
a smaller and lower power video decoder chip.

Arie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

[...]

I just started working with SMT stuff a few years back. Now .5mm pitch
packages are commonplace and a great source of grief. Almost the same as
you, I'm 57 and use a headband 2.5x stereo magnifier for most of my work.
I've gotten fairly good at soldering a 30 awg jumper to .5mm pitch leads. I
flux the leads and put a small bit of solder paste on the jumper.Lay it on
top of the lead and quickly touch with a fine tip iron. Doing this over a
130C air bath preheater sometimes makes it a bit easier. No more than one
cup of coffee or my hands shake too much to work with this tiny stuff.
Told the boss that when they put in BGAs, they had better have decent
rework tools and x-ray inspection. Hopefully by the time our small company
does that, I'll have retired and be a happy beachcomber...
Oppie
New York, USA