Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Calculating Ripple - RippleCalculation.pdf

Circa 1973...

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RippleCalculation.pdf (194.9 KB, 81 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:39:35 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Circa 1973...

...Jim Thompson

Is that a rough draft?

Heres a neater version. 1983 Unitrode Design Seminars

http://www-s.ti.com/sc/techlit/slup060.pdf
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 02:16:29 GMT, Hammy wrote:

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:39:35 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Circa 1973...

...Jim Thompson

Is that a rough draft?

No. It was done strictly for my own benefit... note the TI
programmable calculator listing and magnetic card. I used it to size
transformers and filter capacitors... back in the dark ages (before
CAD ;-)

Heres a neater version. 1983 Unitrode Design Seminars

http://www-s.ti.com/sc/techlit/slup060.pdf

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

American English usage has many irregularly declined nouns
For example, Democrat is the pluperfect form of ignoramus
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:39:35 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Circa 1973...

...Jim Thompson

This analysis assumes an undistorted sinusoidal waveform at the input to the
rectifier, which is not the case if the transformer (or other source) has some
resistance. It might be appropriate for a low power rectifier operating
directly from the grid, but generally not.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Circa 1973...

...Jim Thompson

This analysis assumes an undistorted sinusoidal waveform at the input to the
rectifier, which is not the case if the transformer (or other source) has some
resistance. It might be appropriate for a low power rectifier operating
directly from the grid, but generally not.

Indeed. But this was a number of years pre-CAD. I'd just simulate it
now... might take all of one minute ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Global Warming is God's gift to the Blue States

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Circa 1973...

...Jim Thompson

This analysis assumes an undistorted sinusoidal waveform at the input to the
rectifier, which is not the case if the transformer (or other source) has some
resistance. It might be appropriate for a low power rectifier operating
directly from the grid, but generally not.

Indeed. But this was a number of years pre-CAD. I'd just simulate it
now... might take all of one minute ;-)

Wot? Design by simulation?
Nah, it can't be...

--
Thanks,
Fred.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Circa 1973...

...Jim Thompson
This analysis assumes an undistorted sinusoidal waveform at the input to the
rectifier, which is not the case if the transformer (or other source) has some
resistance. It might be appropriate for a low power rectifier operating
directly from the grid, but generally not.

Indeed. But this was a number of years pre-CAD. I'd just simulate it
now... might take all of one minute ;-)

Wot? Design by simulation?
Nah, it can't be...

No. Just determination of capacitor sizing.

...Jim Thompson