Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Verizon gets rid of news:alt.*

Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer? Verizon sent
this note that they are cutting the bulk of the groups they carried:
==========================
IMPORTANT: CHANGE IN VERIZON NEWSGROUP SERVICE

On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings to
only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
below. Users will not be able to post or download from any other
newsgroups.

comp.*
humanities.*
misc.*
news.*
rec.*
sci.*
soc.*
talk.*

More information on the Big 8 hierarchies is available at
www.big-8.org.

snip
======================

Glad that I kept my 30Gig/year for $30 account. I was just about to close it
figuring that Verizon had most of the groups I use.

Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
their liability?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message news:OYS5k.4523$Jj1.1291@trndny02...
| Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer? Verizon sent
| this note that they are cutting the bulk of the groups they carried:
| ==========================
| IMPORTANT: CHANGE IN VERIZON NEWSGROUP SERVICE
|
| On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings to
| only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
| below. Users will not be able to post or download from any other
| newsgroups.
|
| comp.*
| humanities.*
| misc.*
| news.*
| rec.*
| sci.*
| soc.*
| talk.*
|
| More information on the Big 8 hierarchies is available at
| www.big-8.org.
|
| snip
| ======================
|
| Glad that I kept my 30Gig/year for $30 account. I was just about to close it
| figuring that Verizon had most of the groups I use.
|
| Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
| their liability?

Yea I got the same email today as well. Does no good for this group or others like Mozilla.support.Firefox. What news
provider are you going with?

Cheers

I might use AOIE, has worked in the past.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:58:53 GMT, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message news:OYS5k.4523$Jj1.1291@trndny02...
| Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer? Verizon sent
| this note that they are cutting the bulk of the groups they carried:
| ==========================
| IMPORTANT: CHANGE IN VERIZON NEWSGROUP SERVICE
|
| On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings to
| only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
| below. Users will not be able to post or download from any other
| newsgroups.
|
| comp.*
| humanities.*
| misc.*
| news.*
| rec.*
| sci.*
| soc.*
| talk.*
|
| More information on the Big 8 hierarchies is available at
| www.big-8.org.
|
| snip
| ======================
|
| Glad that I kept my 30Gig/year for $30 account. I was just about to close it
| figuring that Verizon had most of the groups I use.
|
| Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
| their liability?

Yea I got the same email today as well. Does no good for this group or others like Mozilla.support.Firefox. What news
provider are you going with?

Cheers

I might use AOIE, has worked in the past.

I think you mean "AIOE". I have that blocked due to spam, so advise
me in a non-AIOE post what your "From:" will say before you post from
there, so I can whitelist you.

BTW, I use Agent's APN/Forteinc news server, $2.95/month.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
| On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:58:53 GMT, "Martin Riddle"
| wrote:
|

| "Oppie" wrote in message news:OYS5k.4523$Jj1.1291@trndny02...
| | Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer? Verizon sent
| | this note that they are cutting the bulk of the groups they carried:
| | ==========================
| | IMPORTANT: CHANGE IN VERIZON NEWSGROUP SERVICE
| |
| | On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings to
| | only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
| | below. Users will not be able to post or download from any other
| | newsgroups.
| |
| | comp.*
| | humanities.*
| | misc.*
| | news.*
| | rec.*
| | sci.*
| | soc.*
| | talk.*
| |
| | More information on the Big 8 hierarchies is available at
| | www.big-8.org.
| |
| | snip
| | ======================
| |
| | Glad that I kept my 30Gig/year for $30 account. I was just about to close it
| | figuring that Verizon had most of the groups I use.
| |
| | Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
| | their liability?
| |

| Yea I got the same email today as well. Does no good for this group or others like Mozilla.support.Firefox. What news
| provider are you going with?
|
| Cheers
|
| I might use AOIE, has worked in the past.
|

| I think you mean "AIOE". I have that blocked due to spam, so advise
| me in a non-AIOE post what your "From:" will say before you post from
| there, so I can whitelist you.
|
| BTW, I use Agent's APN/Forteinc news server, $2.95/month.

I'll look into that, thanks.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message news:OYS5k.4523$Jj1.1291@trndny02...
| Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer? Verizon sent
| this note that they are cutting the bulk of the groups they carried:
| ==========================
| IMPORTANT: CHANGE IN VERIZON NEWSGROUP SERVICE
|
| On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings to
| only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
| below. Users will not be able to post or download from any other
| newsgroups.
|
| comp.*
| humanities.*
| misc.*
| news.*
| rec.*
| sci.*
| soc.*
| talk.*
|
| More information on the Big 8 hierarchies is available at
| www.big-8.org.
|
| snip

I was just amusingly struck by the fact there are no microsoft.*
groups still there.

I suppose Micro$oft will just have to buy Verizon ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
| snip

I was just amusingly struck by the fact there are no microsoft.*
groups still there.

I suppose Micro$oft will just have to buy Verizon ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You can go direct to news:news.microsoft.com no password
Don't need any public usenet server to access them.

There's a special microsoft news server for Windows Defender discussions:
Details in
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

I found that there was better retention and access going directly to the
Microsoft servers.

Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 01:24:48 GMT, "oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
| snip

I was just amusingly struck by the fact there are no microsoft.*
groups still there.

I suppose Micro$oft will just have to buy Verizon ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You can go direct to news:news.microsoft.com no password
Don't need any public usenet server to access them.

There's a special microsoft news server for Windows Defender discussions:
Details in
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

I found that there was better retention and access going directly to the
Microsoft servers.

Oppie

I know, but right now I just have the Excel group in my regular feed.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer?

Yes. Time Warner's dropping them totally.

Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
their liability?

Yes.

Graham

p.s. I uggest moving the useful alt.* groups to the big * via newgroup requests.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

I think you mean "AIOE".

Yes. Limited capacity, may well fall over due to likely demand, will not honour crossposts (single grou posts only).

Use only as a last reserve.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Martin Riddle wrote:

I'll look into that, thanks.

Astraweb. Best value of all. I moved to them from Forte in fact.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

On 06/24/2008, Verizon will be modifying its Newsgroup offerings to
only offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed
below. Users will not be able to post or download from any other
newsgroups.

comp.*
humanities.*
misc.*
news.*
rec.*
sci.*
soc.*
talk.*

Also note the elimination of 'country' based groups.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:18:08 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Oppie wrote:

Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer?

Yes. Time Warner's dropping them totally.

Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
their liability?

Yes.

Graham

p.s. I uggest moving the useful alt.* groups to the big * via newgroup requests.

Better get started, then. It's not quite as simple as
"mv alt.binaries.schematics.electronics
comp.binaries.schematics.electronics"

http://www.usenetserver.com/en/faq-creategroup.php

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message

"Oppie" wrote in message
| Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer? Verizon
sent
| this note that they are cutting the bulk of the groups they carried:
| snip

| Glad that I kept my 30Gig/year for $30 account. I was just about to
close it
| figuring that Verizon had most of the groups I use.
|
| Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
| their liability?

Yea I got the same email today as well. Does no good for this group or
others like Mozilla.support.Firefox. What news
provider are you going with?

Cheers

Thought that I had written that the 30 gigabyte/year for $30 was with
teranews.com - seemingly, I missed that last bit.
Teranews has its ups and downs and the retention on the Verizon servers was
a bit better so I tended to use only the Vz server unless the group was not
carried by them.

Teranews has also a 'free' account that has a one-time sign-up fee.
Reasonable but limited to 50 Megs/day downloads. My wife, who rarely
participates in binaries groups will be a good candidate for this.

www.teranews.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message news:QJ76k.7715$LN.6602@trndny03...

| "Martin Riddle" wrote in message
|
| "Oppie" wrote in message
| | Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer? Verizon
| sent
| | this note that they are cutting the bulk of the groups they carried:
| | snip
|
| | Glad that I kept my 30Gig/year for $30 account. I was just about to
| close it
| | figuring that Verizon had most of the groups I use.
| |
| | Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
| | their liability?
| |

| Yea I got the same email today as well. Does no good for this group or
| others like Mozilla.support.Firefox. What news
| provider are you going with?
|
| Cheers
|
| Thought that I had written that the 30 gigabyte/year for $30 was with
| teranews.com - seemingly, I missed that last bit.
| Teranews has its ups and downs and the retention on the Verizon servers was
| a bit better so I tended to use only the Vz server unless the group was not
| carried by them.
|
| Teranews has also a 'free' account that has a one-time sign-up fee.
| Reasonable but limited to 50 Megs/day downloads. My wife, who rarely
| participates in binaries groups will be a good candidate for this.
|
| www.teranews.com

Thanks, I might go with Forte. But I'm wondering how EarthLink is fairing, if they are still with supernews and if they will
follow the others. I do like their antispam email system.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 23:32:07 GMT, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Oppie" wrote in message news:QJ76k.7715$LN.6602@trndny03...

| "Martin Riddle" wrote in message
|
| "Oppie" wrote in message
| | Are any other ISPs cutting down on the newsgroups they offer? Verizon
| sent
| | this note that they are cutting the bulk of the groups they carried:
| | snip
|
| | Glad that I kept my 30Gig/year for $30 account. I was just about to
| close it
| | figuring that Verizon had most of the groups I use.
| |
| | Is this all related to the recent blow-up about kiddie porn and limiting
| | their liability?
| |

| Yea I got the same email today as well. Does no good for this group or
| others like Mozilla.support.Firefox. What news
| provider are you going with?
|
| Cheers
|
| Thought that I had written that the 30 gigabyte/year for $30 was with
| teranews.com - seemingly, I missed that last bit.
| Teranews has its ups and downs and the retention on the Verizon servers was
| a bit better so I tended to use only the Vz server unless the group was not
| carried by them.
|
| Teranews has also a 'free' account that has a one-time sign-up fee.
| Reasonable but limited to 50 Megs/day downloads. My wife, who rarely
| participates in binaries groups will be a good candidate for this.
|
| www.teranews.com

Thanks, I might go with Forte. But I'm wondering how EarthLink is fairing, if they are still with supernews and if they will
follow the others. I do like their antispam email system.

Cheers

Forte seems to be pretty good. I've reported two server issues, which
they promptly fixed.

$2.95/month is a pretty good price, plus I think they still offer one
month free trial.

And they provide more headers than my local ISP, COX, so JERK
filtering using nfilter works great ;-)

Tell them that Jim Thompson sent you!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Yet more spam from verizon.net JeffM Home Ownership 0 May 18th 06 11:13 PM
IT News - Tech News - Search Engine News - Updates News Page O Rama Home Repair 1 April 23rd 06 04:13 PM
[email protected] SteveB Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 03:25 PM
Verizon DSL Brandystew Woodworking 46 January 5th 05 04:42 PM
Verizon DSL Brandystew Home Repair 16 November 26th 04 02:39 PM