Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default WillcoxESRmeterscale.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
WillcoxESRmeterscale.jpg-willcoxesrmeterscale-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ross Herbert wrote in
:

Wow, this is freaking awesome! Where did you get that meter movement, is it
available? Is it nicely damped or a loose movement? I want this pretty bad,
the blue ESR meter that all the techs got out in CA somewhere are all gone
now and I need a nice, analog unit to check TV sets with. Thanks for
posting!

--
~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:13:12 -0600, Ohmster wrote:

:Ross Herbert wrote in
:
:
:
:
:Wow, this is freaking awesome! Where did you get that meter movement, is it
:available? Is it nicely damped or a loose movement? I want this pretty bad,
:the blue ESR meter that all the techs got out in CA somewhere are all gone
:now and I need a nice, analog unit to check TV sets with. Thanks for
osting!

I suspect that Alan Willcox designed the meter scale to suit the movement he had
on hand. I discovered that suitable meter movements were almost unavailable in
Australia and none I found would accept the scale shown in the article. I
eventually imported a couple of PM-2/100uA movements from Monacor in Germany
http://www.monacor.com/ but not even they would take the published scale
directly.

For those who wish to use any available 100uA movemment they have on hand they
might like to invest in a meter scale design application from Tonne Software.
http://www.tonnesoftware.com/meter.html and spend some time learning to use it.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ross Herbert wrote in
:

I suspect that Alan Willcox designed the meter scale to suit the
movement he had on hand. I discovered that suitable meter movements
were almost unavailable in Australia and none I found would accept the
scale shown in the article. I eventually imported a couple of
PM-2/100uA movements from Monacor in Germany http://www.monacor.com/
but not even they would take the published scale directly.

For those who wish to use any available 100uA movemment they have on
hand they might like to invest in a meter scale design application
from Tonne Software. http://www.tonnesoftware.com/meter.html and spend
some time learning to use it.

Hmmm, that is a bitch man. I am not that good with graphic design, enough
to make a nice meter face. That is a real problem with projects like this,
it could be the best meter in the world but without the right meter face,
it will ruin the project, although it would still be operational.

Still, thanks for the links, now at least we have tools to work with,
somebody might pickup on this and post a new face with a commonly available
meter movent from the U.S. somewhere now. Thanks again.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
(That is Message Body, not Subject!)
to pass my spam filter.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ohmster wrote:

Hmmm, that is a bitch man. I am not that good with graphic design, enough
to make a nice meter face. That is a real problem with projects like this,
it could be the best meter in the world but without the right meter face,
it will ruin the project, although it would still be operational.

Still, thanks for the links, now at least we have tools to work with,
somebody might pickup on this and post a new face with a commonly available
meter movent from the U.S. somewhere now. Thanks again.

You might download an old copy of DraftChoice for Windows, a
no longer supported share ware program. It draws and prints
beautiful scales and text wrapped around an arc. I recently
used it to make a new dial for my ancient coil winding turn
count gear.

--
Regards,

John Popelish