Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default dual opamp recommendation...

Hi,

Does anyone have a favorite, readily available, dual opamp with the following characteristics:

1) single supply
2) output swings to either rail
3) input swings to gnd
4) 1458 pin out
5) low offset and drift

and most importantly,

6) well behaved (no latch up, spurious oscillations, ...)

Basically, I need a better 1458. Speed and slew rate are of
no real consequence.

I've been looking for one, and the selector guides just don't seem to
work very well.

Thanks!

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have a favorite, readily available, dual opamp with the

following characteristics:

1) single supply
2) output swings to either rail
3) input swings to gnd
4) 1458 pin out
5) low offset and drift

and most importantly,

6) well behaved (no latch up, spurious oscillations, ...)

Basically, I need a better 1458. Speed and slew rate are of
no real consequence.

I've been looking for one, and the selector guides just don't seem to
work very well.

Thanks!

-Chuck

I'm not sure of the pinout compatibility but these seem good per your needs:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1458

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lord Garth wrote:
"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have a favorite, readily available, dual opamp with the

following characteristics:
1) single supply
2) output swings to either rail
3) input swings to gnd
4) 1458 pin out
5) low offset and drift

and most importantly,

6) well behaved (no latch up, spurious oscillations, ...)

Basically, I need a better 1458. Speed and slew rate are of
no real consequence.

I've been looking for one, and the selector guides just don't seem to
work very well.

Thanks!

-Chuck

I'm not sure of the pinout compatibility but these seem good per your needs:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1458

It looks like a good part, but it doesn't appear to be available
in the DIP-8 package.

Has Maxim improved in their in stock availability? I stopped using them
years ago because I could never find stock on their parts. It was always
60-90 days lead time.

Thanks!

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lord Garth wrote:
[...]

That is the trouble I had with them Chuck. The Dallas Semi plant is very
near
to here but there is no over abundance locally.

As for the pinout problem, how about laying out a SOIC to 8 pin DIP board?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have a favorite, readily available, dual opamp with the

following characteristics:

1) single supply
2) output swings to either rail
3) input swings to gnd
4) 1458 pin out
5) low offset and drift

and most importantly,

6) well behaved (no latch up, spurious oscillations, ...)

Basically, I need a better 1458. Speed and slew rate are of
no real consequence.

I've been looking for one, and the selector guides just don't seem to
work very well.

Thanks!

-Chuck

I've grown to really liking the 'ST' TS912 dual and TS914 quads.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lord Garth wrote:

Has Maxim improved in their in stock availability? I stopped using them
years ago because I could never find stock on their parts. It was always
60-90 days lead time.

That is the trouble I had with them Chuck. The Dallas Semi plant is very
near
to here but there is no over abundance locally.

As for the pinout problem, how about laying out a SOIC to 8 pin DIP board?

Hmmm? If I could afford to do that, I could afford to stuff a $6 opamp in
the board ;-)

No, there are plenty of good DIP-8 opamps still available. I was just looking
to see what some of the favorites were today. It is always better if you can
build from other's experiences.

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

john jardine wrote:
"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have a favorite, readily available, dual opamp with the

following characteristics:
1) single supply
2) output swings to either rail
3) input swings to gnd
4) 1458 pin out
5) low offset and drift

and most importantly,

6) well behaved (no latch up, spurious oscillations, ...)

Basically, I need a better 1458. Speed and slew rate are of
no real consequence.

I've been looking for one, and the selector guides just don't seem to
work very well.

Thanks!

-Chuck

I've grown to really liking the 'ST' TS912 dual and TS914 quads.

Thanks John, I'll pick up a handful and see how they perform.

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:26:21 -0400, the renowned Chuck Harris
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have a favorite, readily available, dual opamp with the following characteristics:

1) single supply
2) output swings to either rail
3) input swings to gnd
4) 1458 pin out
5) low offset and drift

and most importantly,

6) well behaved (no latch up, spurious oscillations, ...)

Basically, I need a better 1458. Speed and slew rate are of
no real consequence.

I've been looking for one, and the selector guides just don't seem to
work very well.

Thanks!

-Chuck

LT1013 meets most of your specs (output doesn't swing very close to
the positive rail ,and input CM range also does not include the
positive rail).

The LT1013 will work ok in this application, but I would like to be
able to get as close as I can to a full 5V swing on a 5V supply. This
application is to provide some gain enhancement for the A-to-D converters
in a 5v PIC circuit I was designing. I don't want to lose too many of
the codes due to opamp limitations.

Most of the R-R op-amps won't handle very high supply voltages- eg.
LMV822 can only handle 5.5V from + rail to - rail (so +/-3.3 is too
much for it).

That should be ok. I forgot to mention the application was for a
5V supply.

Mostly, I was interested in what other folks favorites were today.
I tend to get into a rut and order the same old parts over and over
again.

Thanks for the info.

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Chuck Harris wrote:

The LT1013 will work ok in this application, but I would like to be
able to get as close as I can to a full 5V swing on a 5V supply. This
application is to provide some gain enhancement for the A-to-D converters
in a 5v PIC circuit I was designing. I don't want to lose too many of
the codes due to opamp limitations.

I have had very good results with dual rail to rail opamps
from Microchip on 5 to 6 volt supplies. I think the MCP6022
is a pretty good compromise between speed, precision, noise
and power consumption.
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21685c.pdf
but there are other variations on this theme:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21733f.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/22041a.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21669b.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21669b.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21881c.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21882c.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21810e.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21811d.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/21812d.pdf

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Popelish wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:

[...]

Thanks John!

I have glanced at the microchip analog parts, but I have never
actually looked into them... I will now.

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
qrk qrk is offline

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:26:21 -0400, Chuck Harris
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have a favorite, readily available, dual opamp with the following characteristics:

1) single supply
2) output swings to either rail
3) input swings to gnd
4) 1458 pin out
5) low offset and drift

and most importantly,

6) well behaved (no latch up, spurious oscillations, ...)

Basically, I need a better 1458. Speed and slew rate are of
no real consequence.

I've been looking for one, and the selector guides just don't seem to
work very well.

Thanks!

-Chuck

LMH6646.
Only comes in surface mount.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

qrk wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:26:21 -0400, Chuck Harris

Basically, I need a better 1458. Speed and slew rate are of
no real consequence.

I've been looking for one, and the selector guides just don't seem to
work very well.

Thanks!

-Chuck

LMH6646.
Only comes in surface mount.

Looks interesting. I'll get a few to try. I am trying to keep
this prototype through-hole, but for the final run SMT is a good
possibility.

-Chuck