Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default NEWS ITEM -- The Best Of ...

Friends,

Everyday Practical Electronics (EPE) magazine very kindly released my small
designs back to me, so that I have been assembling a series of small
books -- The Best of Thomas Scarborough. These are available on the
Internet as downloads ($1) or in print ($6.95) through www.lulu.com. I am
making the first book in the series available free, gratis, to all. If you
should have an interest, I would be pleased to e-mail you a copy of this
book for your website (about 600k in .pdf).

All of the books (four to date) may be seen simultaneously at
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=980032 The foreword follows
below, by EPE On-Line Editor Alan Winstanley. I have added brief
descriptions of the content, also below.

For those who might not recognise my name, I was until recently, arguably,
the world's most widely published electronics designer-writer. My designs
have appeared on the front covers of Elektor, Everyday Practical
Electronics, Nuts & Volts, Popular Mechanics, Servo, and Silicon Chip
magazines. Many have gone into production. I have been particularly well
known for my small designs, which have won several awards.

With kind regards,
Thomas Scarborough.
E-mail

FOREWORD
______________________________________

Thomas Scarborough first caught my eye by contri*buting small circuit
novelties to the "Ingenuity Unlimited" column of Every*day Practical
Electronics maga*zine in the 1990s. Soon his ideas were flowing thick and
fast, and before long Thomas was author*ing superbly presented
construc*tion*al articles of the high*est standards and clarity.

Thomas has an infectious enthusiasm that enthrals and in*spires hob*by*ists,
encouraging them to dabble with his mod*estly propor*tioned but thoroughly
developed applications. I am delighted to introduce this series of books, an
ensemble of simple electronic ideas utilising no more than six
com*po*n*ents. I am sure they will enter*tain, fascinate and captivate
electronics construct*ors every*where.

Alan R. Winstanley,
On-Line Editor of Everyday Practical Electronics.

DESCRIPTION OF CONTENT
______________________________________

BOOK 1 includes five designs using just 6 components, or less: a sensitive
and stable BFO Metal Detector, a Thousand-Year Flasher, an Electric Shock
Machine! a Haffler Effect Unit (i.e. a third channel for stereo systems),
and a useful Power Switch -- with many "further suggestions".

BOOK 2 includes five designs using just 6 components, or less: SONAR (sound
navigation ranging), a Super-Sensitive Microphone, a 3V to 6V Generator, a
Battery LED (this describes how to use LEDs), and a LED Torch (which may be
powered off the generator) -- with many "further suggestions".

BOOK 3 includes five designs using just 6 components, or less: a
fascinating Thunderstorm Monitor, a Double Doorbell, a Christmas novelty (to
make one's cheeks gloowowow from within), Pot-Plant Power (to power
micropower circuits off pot plants), and a versatile Sensitive Switch --
with many "further suggestions".

BOOK 4 includes five designs using just 6 components, or less: an effective
Wart Zapper (Remover), a Cat (or Dog) Scarer, a Magnetic Key, a Code Lock,
and a classic Optical Illusion (proving the subjective nature of
experience) -- with many "further suggestions".