Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

Default Strange news item on R4

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 02:07:53 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6185174.stm has full
details.

To me the reason it hit national news was the unexpected nature.

And possibly the fact the child actually survived long enough to get to
hospital in Bristol. There is the on going "human interest", though with
85% burns I wouldn't put much money on the childs chances and long term
there is going to be awful trouble with scaring.

I also wonder if there is a "hidden agenda" to get the Great Unwashed to
tacitly support a "Part P" for Plumbing.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

There was another similar incident recently (discussed on here) of the
cold water tank in a newly rented home bursting over a couples bedroom
(and I think killing them), due to it being full of near boiling water
from pumping over.

That one was a rented property. This one seriously injuring a baby, a
new council house (with from the sound of it an unvented system). So
most likely both professional installs with lethal/near-lethal faults.

The argument would be better to require landlords to have a periodic
safety inspection/certificte, much like they are required to for gas
boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

I also wonder if there is a "hidden agenda" to get the Great Unwashed to
tacitly support a "Part P" for Plumbing.

It mentions it was a "council house" so presumably it should have been
taken care of in accordance with the local authority's standards, which
should have been adequate.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 02:07:53 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6185174.stm has full
details.

To me the reason it hit national news was the unexpected nature.

And possibly the fact the child actually survived long enough to get to
hospital in Bristol. There is the on going "human interest", though with
85% burns I wouldn't put much money on the childs chances and long term
there is going to be awful trouble with scaring.

I also wonder if there is a "hidden agenda" to get the Great Unwashed to
tacitly support a "Part P" for Plumbing.

But it is a council owned house. If a council didn't use qualified
tradesmen there's not much hope for the rest of us.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.community.social-housing,uk.d-i-y,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:07:21 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I also wonder if there is a "hidden agenda" to get the Great Unwashed
to tacitly support a "Part P" for Plumbing.

But it is a council owned house. If a council didn't use qualified
tradesmen there's not much hope for the rest of us.

And how many "problems" that brought us Part P were down to
"professionals" and how many down to DIYers?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.community.social-housing,uk.d-i-y,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:07:21 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I also wonder if there is a "hidden agenda" to get the Great Unwashed
to tacitly support a "Part P" for Plumbing.

But it is a council owned house. If a council didn't use qualified
tradesmen there's not much hope for the rest of us.

And how many "problems" that brought us Part P were down to
"professionals" and how many down to DIYers?

Oh, the vast majority will be down to so called pros. However if 'they'
use this sort of thing as an argument for more legislation it makes it
easy to countermand or at least get some sort of concession for DIY as
happened with gas.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:53:02 +0000 (GMT) Dave Liquorice wrote :
And possibly the fact the child actually survived long enough to get to
hospital in Bristol. There is the on going "human interest", though with
85% burns I wouldn't put much money on the childs chances and long term
there is going to be awful trouble with scaring.

I also wonder if there is a "hidden agenda" to get the Great
Unwashed to tacitly support a "Part P" for Plumbing.

There's no *hidden* agenda:

"To comply with new Scottish building regulations as of 1st May 2006 any
domestic property being built new, or undergoing major alterations which
include the bathroom must incorporate control of the temperature of the hot
water supply to the bath to a maximum of 48C. Since it also a requirement
that the hot water heater be run at 60°C and that the hot water system
should circulate at no less than 55°C, it is clear that some form of extra
control will be required to ensure that the maximum allowable bath fill
temperature is not exceeded. An ideal and simple solution is to fit a
thermostatic mixing valve at the point of use."

"In England and Wales the government announced a review of part G of the
building regulations would include a consultation on the fitting of TMVs in
the domestic environment; this is currently underway but is unlikely to
conclude before 2007."

http://www.rwc.co.uk/email.aspx?page=Feb06NEWS

Local valves, of course, would have done nothing in this particular sad
case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

wrote in message
ps.com...
There was another similar incident recently (discussed on here) of the
cold water tank in a newly rented home bursting over a couples bedroom
(and I think killing them), due to it being full of near boiling water
from pumping over.

That one was a rented property. This one seriously injuring a baby, a
new council house (with from the sound of it an unvented system). So
most likely both professional installs with lethal/near-lethal faults.

The argument would be better to require landlords to have a periodic
safety inspection/certificte, much like they are required to for gas
boilers.

Unvented cylinders require servicing as per makers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

wrote in message
ps.com...

There was another similar incident recently (discussed on here) of the
cold water tank in a newly rented home bursting over a couples bedroom
(and I think killing them), due to it being full of near boiling water
from pumping over.

That one was a rented property. This one seriously injuring a baby, a
new council house (with from the sound of it an unvented system). So
most likely both professional installs with lethal/near-lethal faults.

The argument would be better to require landlords to have a periodic
safety inspection/certificte, much like they are required to for gas
boilers.

Unvented cylinders (called magaflows sometimes) require servicing as per
makers, whioch is usually one a year (so £60-100 a year to store hot water).
They can explode too taking down the side of a house:
http://www.waterheaterblast.com

The actual cause is not known yet, not even the system involved. Sounds like
faulty installation to me. Or it could be a plastic pipe bursting. If the
two-stage temperature protection on a boiler fails then the temperature in a
sealed heating system can be well over 100C (pressurised water has lower
boiling point). Many plastic pipe makes are not capable of temperatures over
100C. A kinked plastic pipe on installation can weaken the integrity of the
pipe and if in an overheat situation a pipe burst can happen and often do.

Many Central Heating systems fitted with plastic pipes are only saved by the
boiler protection. If this fails many will have burst pipes with boiling
water/steam coming out. The pressure relief valve is set to 3.5 bar, a
weakend kinked plastic pipe can fail at well below 3.5 bar.

Many systems are fitted with plastic pipe that will only hold a pressure of
3 bar at 100C. Potential for catastrophe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

Yes, unvented requires servicing - however I don't believe the
householder (or landlord) is legally compelled to do so.

The actual cause is not known yet, not even the system involved.

Indeed, it could be unintentionally unvented, "vented system".

(pressurised water has lower boiling point).

Increased pressure raises the boiling point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

wrote in message
ups.com...

Yes, unvented requires servicing - however I don't believe the
householder (or landlord) is legally compelled to do so.

The actual cause is not known yet, not even the system involved.

Indeed, it could be unintentionally unvented, "vented system".

(pressurised water has lower boiling point).

Increased pressure raises the boiling point.

Yep, I got that the wrong way around. It could be over 100C and not boil. It
could be over 100C, not boil and under 3.5 bar and a plastic pipe pops and
the relief valve set to 3.5 bar does not open.

The new houses I have seen, most, not all, have copper pipe in the loft. But
the use of plastic everywhere is now more common.

I can't off-hand think of a boiler that does not have two stage temperature
protection these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4
GMK GMK is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, unvented requires servicing - however I don't believe the
householder (or landlord) is legally compelled to do so.

The actual cause is not known yet, not even the system involved.

Indeed, it could be unintentionally unvented, "vented system".

(pressurised water has lower boiling point).

Increased pressure raises the boiling point.

Boyles law?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

"GMK" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, unvented requires servicing - however I don't believe the
householder (or landlord) is legally compelled to do so.

The actual cause is not known yet, not even the system involved.

Indeed, it could be unintentionally unvented, "vented system".

(pressurised water has lower boiling point).

Increased pressure raises the boiling point.

Boyles law?

No. Denis Law.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"GMK"wrote
wrote

Yes, unvented requires servicing - however I don't believe the
householder (or landlord) is legally compelled to do so.

The actual cause is not known yet, not even the system involved.

Indeed, it could be unintentionally unvented, "vented system".

(pressurised water has lower boiling point).

Increased pressure raises the boiling point.

Boyles law?

No. Denis Law.

No. Coles law.

--

SB

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:21:39 -0000 someone who may be "Doctor
Drivel" wrote this:-

Increased pressure raises the boiling point.

Yep, I got that the wrong way around.

I doubt if anyone who knew what they were talking about would ever
get that the wrong way round. It is such an obvious mistake.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

Drivel" wrote this:-

Increased pressure raises the boiling point.

Yep, I got that the wrong way around.

I doubt

You are a plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

(pressurised water has lower
boiling point)

Zatta fact? You should read your Big Book of Fizziks again.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

(pressurised water has lower
boiling point)

Zatta fact? You should read your Big Book of Fizziks again.

He doesn't like that one, it doesn't have enough pictures in

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Grimly Curmudgeon
writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

(pressurised water has lower
boiling point)

Zatta fact? You should read your Big Book of Fizziks again.

He doesn't like that one, it doesn't have enough pictures in

Maxie, you do need pictures. Like the one of you in a frock up a tree.
Fabulous picture Maxie. Fabulous. So you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.community.social-housing,uk.gov.local,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4

wrote in message
ups.com...

Yes, unvented requires servicing - however I don't believe the
householder (or landlord) is legally compelled to do so.

They are. If the makers say so they are.