Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Ribbon conductor needed

Hello all,
I need to have a ribbon type of conductor manufactured. It's the kind
commonly seen in small electronic devices, connecting one circuit board to
another etc.
The one I have is 30mm long but I wish it to be at least 200mm long. Can
anyone steer me in the right direction?

(see pic attached)

Mark Kelepouris

Attached Thumbnails
Ribbon conductor needed-ccd-ribbon-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Mark Kelepouris wrote:
Hello all,
I need to have a ribbon type of conductor manufactured. It's the kind
commonly seen in small electronic devices, connecting one circuit board to
another etc.
The one I have is 30mm long but I wish it to be at least 200mm long. Can
anyone steer me in the right direction?

(see pic attached)

Mark Kelepouris

I don't have a particular manufacturer in mind, but if you Google the words
"flexible printed circuit board"

I think you will get a host of companies that manufacture these interconnects.

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Mark Kelepouris wrote:
Hello all,
I need to have a ribbon type of conductor manufactured. It's the kind
commonly seen in small electronic devices, connecting one circuit board
to another etc.
The one I have is 30mm long but I wish it to be at least 200mm long. Can
anyone steer me in the right direction?

(see pic attached)

Mark Kelepouris

I don't have a particular manufacturer in mind, but if you Google the
words
"flexible printed circuit board"

I think you will get a host of companies that manufacture these
interconnects.

-Chuck

Thanks, shall do.

M.K.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:04:49 +1100, Mark Kelepouris wrote:

Hello all,
I need to have a ribbon type of conductor manufactured. It's the kind
commonly seen in small electronic devices, connecting one circuit board to
another etc.
The one I have is 30mm long but I wish it to be at least 200mm long. Can
anyone steer me in the right direction?

(see pic attached)

Extending what you have wouldn't be hard, merely tedious. Get however many
pieces of #30 wire-wrap wire, or an N-conductor piece of ribbon cable;
cut the right-hand side of your flex circuit at a 45 degree angle, scrape
off the solder mask; if you're using ribbon cable, cut it at a 45 degree
angle as well, and just solder them.

But it looks like a PCI connector - will the extra length mess with your
timing?

And what's under that gray box?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:04:49 +1100, Mark Kelepouris wrote:

Hello all,
I need to have a ribbon type of conductor manufactured. It's the kind
commonly seen in small electronic devices, connecting one circuit board
another etc.
The one I have is 30mm long but I wish it to be at least 200mm long. Can
anyone steer me in the right direction?

(see pic attached)

Extending what you have wouldn't be hard, merely tedious.

No, I think it would be 'really bloody hard' each copper trace is only
approx. 0.13mm wide! and given that wire wrap is 0.26mm, probably nervous
breakdown material if at all possible.

Get however many
pieces of #30 wire-wrap wire, or an N-conductor piece of ribbon cable;
cut the right-hand side of your flex circuit at a 45 degree angle, scrape
off the solder mask; if you're using ribbon cable, cut it at a 45 degree
angle as well, and just solder them.

But it looks like a PCI connector - will the extra length mess with your
timing?

It's an interconnect from the CCD chips board to the main board in a digital
camera.

And what's under that gray box?

That grey box is only a flat kind of ferrite noise suppress thing commonly
seen on these sort data carriers.

btw, what I am attempting to do is put the CCD at the focal point of an
eight inch telescope mirror.

Mark Kelepouris

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:39:28 +1100, Mark Kelepouris wrote:

Hello all,
I need to have a ribbon type of conductor manufactured. It's the kind
commonly seen in small electronic devices, connecting one circuit board
another etc.
The one I have is 30mm long but I wish it to be at least 200mm long. Can
anyone steer me in the right direction?

(see pic attached)

Extending what you have wouldn't be hard, merely tedious.

No, I think it would be 'really bloody hard' each copper trace is only
approx. 0.13mm wide! and given that wire wrap is 0.26mm, probably nervous
breakdown material if at all possible.

Oh. Eek. :-/

But it looks like a PCI connector - will the extra length mess with your
timing?

It's an interconnect from the CCD chips board to the main board in a digital
camera.

That grey box is only a flat kind of ferrite noise suppress thing commonly
seen on these sort data carriers.

btw, what I am attempting to do is put the CCD at the focal point of an
eight inch telescope mirror.

OK, then you're already out of my league. :-) (good microphotograph,
however. ;-) )

All I can think of in that case is to have one custom-made.

Sorry,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
[...]

No worries mate, it's just another one of those projects of mine that ends
up being bloody hard in some way.

Mark Kelepouris

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Mark Kelepouris wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
[...]

Now i am curious. I have an 8" telescope myself and i am always considering
new attachments. I can buy a high res (8 MPixel) CCD or CMOS sensor in a
package that replaces the eyepeice for not all that much. With my motor
drive i can take 10 minute exposures. What attracts you to your sensor?
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"joseph2k" wrote in message
t...
Mark Kelepouris wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hi Joseph,
An 8 Mp for not all that much? Sounds a lot better than the 3.2 Mp one i've
got here.
The only thing that attracts me to my sensor is that it would otherwise, be
thrown away with it's host, an Olympus C-760.
I have an 8" mirror nothing else yet, so I thought I would try an experiment
by putting the sensor in place of the diagonal mirror.
Can you tell me how much it would cost me for the sensors you are talking
about?

Cheers,
Mark Kelepouris

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Mark Kelepouris wrote:

"joseph2k" wrote in message
t...
Mark Kelepouris wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:39:28 +1100, Mark Kelepouris wrote:

[...]

I can't find them any more. All the stuff i am seeing now emphasizes
speed / sensitivity over resolution. See web pages for Orion, Meade, and
Celestron (telescope and accessory vendors) for up to 1.3 Mp sensors.
Possibly Edmund still has something.
You may want to keep all the electronics that came with the original
package, then you could use your existing software to control it from your
PC / laptop.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*
--Schiller

stripping "ribbon cable?" ?? Sean Electronics Repair 13 May 18th 05 03:54 AM
Ribbon Cable COnnectors [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 17th 05 10:03 PM
Hi-visibility Ribbon BigWallop UK diy 10 December 26th 04 11:45 AM
IDE Ribbon Cable xavier UK diy 40 September 4th 04 12:56 AM
How to reattach LCD Ribbon Cable? WEBPA Electronics Repair 3 April 5th 04 02:08 AM