Default Double Glazing Quote Problem

Rick wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:58:48 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else...

Two weeks before our double glazing is due to be installed they've just told
us that they can't actually do it for the price that we signed a contract
for 2 months ago. They're now saying that they need an extra £746 to do the
job. The reason being for something that they openly admit to having not
costed up.

Apparently this is a fairly common occurence with double glazing sales. The
company we're dealing claim it's only the second time they've had to do it.

I have sort legal advice and have been told that they're plainly in breach
of contract, but the installer claims that in their T&C's "the price is
subject to a survey". However, the survey was done at the time of signing
the contract.

Although they're very apollogetic and have offered to refund our deposit-
it's all very annoying and a matter of budgets and principles.

You could force them to do it for the price, but then they may go out
of their way to make loads of anoying mistakes, and really mess you
arround. Imagine them accidently smashing a window pane when fitting,
and you having to wait 4 weeks for a new one .........

I'd get my money back and run - very fast.

Rick

But the buyer holds the money, and wont be paying a cent until
everythings shipshape. If theyre sensible.

If I didnt /need/ the work to be done, I would probably write them a
letter saying I was very unhappy at this indeed, this was most
unprofessional, and would be checking the work they did on (insert
date) carefully and thoroughly, and that I was not interested in
renegotiating the price already agreed.

If I really needed it done, I'd go for what someoene else suggested,
and say grumble grumble, well look at the end of the day I've found
£300 more but thats all I can do, take it or dont.

Either way be aware its a classic scam, so you know who and what youre
dealing with. If you go ahead, do not pay them one single penny until
everything is satisfactory, ensure a witness is present at install
time, and if they leave with anything left unsatisfactory, take
pictures. Do not have any means of payment present on the day in case
youre tempted, tell them to send you the bill.

NT