LP

Default Kitchen cabinet design question

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:11:26 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

I'm looking to build wall cabinets for a kitchen with an 8' ceiling that go
(essentially) all the way to the ceiling (i.e. no soffit). At first glance,
this would seem to dictate 42" cabinets. However, I'm wondering what those
experienced do in this case. I'm planning to us a 2" face frame with a 1/2"
overlay door. I'm also going to be putting up crown molding, and it seems
that the 1.5" left on the top is going to be pretty tight for crown molding.
I'm considering either of the following (or perhaps a combination). I'm
thinking about using 3" stock for the top rails to provide a wider space to
place the crown molding. I'm also considering leaving an inch of space
between the cabinet and the ceiling to a) account for any variation out of
level in the ceiling and b) provide additional space to fit in the crown
molding. If I left additional space at the top, I would, of course, shorten
the cabinet accordingly to leave the same amount of space between the
countertop and the bottom of the wall cabinets. Which way would you go?

You're on the right track. Stop the cabinets 1" short of the ceiling,
then balance top rail width, crown width, and cabinet height to
maintain the same 1-1/2" face frame reveal all around the door.

And since I have your attention, I know that stock kitchen cabinets are
generally 12" deep. Do any of you bump that out an inch or two?

todd

Lately I've been bumping by an inch. The additional space gained is
much better for the larger bowls and dinner plates, and doesnt seem to
hamper access to the counter top at all.