Default Jump leads -- a cautionary tale

news wrote:
Then, a few days ago, I came across an old gent in a car park, trying to
start his car. As the car was a Rover, I felt sorry for him, and said I
could give him a jump start. I positioned my car alongside his, and then
got the brand new jump leads from the boot.

Last time I helped someone out in such a situation, it was at work.
I connected up my end, and he had the other ends to connect up his end.
Big flash and crackle before I yanked a lead off. Well, he connected
them round the wrong way. Was just thinking to myself that I should
have done it and not trusted it to anyone else, when it dawned on me
that he is the engineer who designs the high power (like 5V @ 1000W)
supplies for the minicomputers we manufactured.

Fortunately, no damage done.

--
Andrew Gabriel