Edwin Pawlowski

Default 100+ yo House - New Windows or Restore Old?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I've got a 100+ year-old house which has the typical 100+ year-old
windows. They are covered in lead pain, hard to open, and drafty.
They are also big, filled with original glass (wavy and in some sashes,
leaded), and beautiul.

The lead is the real issue here, since one of our kids, who is 4 1/2,
tested high last year. Most of the rest of the lead in the house has
been covered, but the windows remain... and due to this, we mostly keep
them closed.

Closing the windows in not helping the lead problem. It may make no
difference at all, but OTOH, opening the windows will disperse any lead in
the air making it safer. Is your kid eating the windows? Simple contact is
not a big deal.

Is there historical value to the existing windows? If so, it may well pay
you to strip them and refurbish them. There are methods of removing lead
paint safely. With windows, you can take the sashes outside. You say they
are beautiful and in that case, I'd want to restore them if at all possible.