Pop

Default 100+ yo House - New Windows or Restore Old?

That might be a sticking point if it's ever necessary to put the
house on the market again.

Better get someone in to look at the situation unless you're
really sure you can do it. Houses that old are often
plank-built, not studs & coverings as most people are used to.
It could be quite a job to accomplish.

I think you're right to consider it, but also check your local
codes. Make sure there are no surprises there such as historical
requirements or worse, if you touch this, then you must also do
that kind of thing.

Luck!

Pop

wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi All,
:
: I've got a 100+ year-old house which has the typical 100+
year-old
: windows. They are covered in lead pain, hard to open, and
drafty.
: They are also big, filled with original glass (wavy and in some
sashes,
: leaded), and beautiul.
:
: The lead is the real issue here, since one of our kids, who is
4 1/2,
: tested high last year. Most of the rest of the lead in the
house has
: been covered, but the windows remain... and due to this, we
mostly keep
: them closed.
:
: My wife really wants to get the windows replaced with Marvin
"Ultimate
: Inserts" from an installer she knows. He wants about $800 per
window
: for labor and materials. We can't afford to do the whole
house, so
: this would be a two here, two there process.
:
: The question to you experts is this: for the value of the home,
am I
: better off getting the windows restored, and maybe getting some
: higher-quality storms put on, than replacing them completly?
The
: windows themselves are in decent shape, though they stick and
tiny
: fragments of wood and dust come down when you open/close them,
etc.
: Anyone have an idea what a quality stripping and restoration
should
: cost?
:
: Note the lead issue will diminish in 18 months or so, when the
kid
: turns 6 (when the physiological impact of the lead is reduced),
after
: which the wife's major motivational point will be gone.
:
: Thanks for your time.
: