Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Welder for around $1,000

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:8jv4f.17085$fE5.4361@fed1read06...

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:_Dj4f.17054$fE5.3346@fed1read06...

"Zipper" zipper777ATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
I've been trying to get in to welding for awhile now, but have not

had
the
funds I needed to buy what I needed. I now have enough money to start
getting in to it seriously, and I was hoping someone might be able to

help
me. I'm looking to buy a decent TIG welder. I'm looking to spend

somewhere
near $1,000. I don't mind going as high as $1,500 if I can't get

something
decent for 1k. I posted links below to some of the units I found that

think are decent, but I'm not really sure. I don't mind buying used,
but
whatever the machine is would have to be something that I wouldn't

have
repair. I bought a little $200 TIG welder from HarborFreight, but

that
just didn't seem to work for me. My skills suck obviously, but I

still
don't think the welder was doing that much good.. What I would like
weld
would be aluminum and steel mostly. My plan isn't to weld anything

higher
than 16 gauge, and most everything I would be working with would be

in
the
20 gauge or higher range. If you have any advice I would appreciate

it.
Thank you for your time.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/econotig_ac_dc/

-Stephen

Take your money and get some lessons. If you could buy a $5,000 welder

used
for $1,000 it wouldn't do you any good.

Steve

Ha! You might try telling my buddy the same thing. He bought a new
Miller (years ago) and learned to TIG weld well enough to get
certified -------for defense work, no less. Mind you, I'm not
suggesting that anyone that desires to learn to weld ignore proper
instruction, but it can be learned other ways. The bad part is you
don't
have anyone looking over your shoulder to tell you what you're doing
wrong,
so bad habits can be enforced, same as when one is self taught

machining.

Harold

And he learned it from a book, too, as I read in your other post.

Some people have talent. This is what separates a piano player from a
concert pianist. A musician from a guitar player.

So many endeavors are entered into by people who "think" they would like
something, or who "think" they want to try it. They go out and buy all
sorts of expensive equipment, then go nowhere. Look at all the ads for
"new" "used twice" ski and scuba gear. And then there are others who

won't
think of lessons, and who just go and try to do it themselves and fail or
lose interest.

A lot of people can attain skills and experience by just doing if they

have
a talent to start with. But they will eventually reach the limits of

their
capabilities and knowledge and have to rely on others for instruction.

And
then, there are a very few people who already know everything, and need no
instruction or training. I have known a few, and they were egotistical
boors.

Your friend bought a TIG machine, taught himself, read a book, and then
qualified for "defense" work?

God pray for us all! He doesn't weld for NASA, does he?

BUT WAIT! I did about the same thing, so I shouldn't crow so loud. In my
case, it was doing the handrails for the #13 parking lot at Hoover Dam.
That can be considered a strategic location in our defense system, can't

it.

WAIT, WAIT! I have done other "defense work" welding. I did the awning
frames on the mess halls at Nellis AFB, Nevada.

I built AC jacks for their on base houses!

WHOA!. I'm better than I thought when I look at it in a broader light.
Thank you so much!

I feel better. My self esteem has shot off the chart as if I had been

given
a million dollar grant by a Liberal Democrat Senator. I'm going to run

off
and look at myself in a mirror for a while! LOOK AT ME, I'M A WELDER THAT
DOES DEFENSE WORK!

LOOK AT ME, I'M A WELDER THAT DOES DEFENSE WORK!

LOOK AT ME, I'M A WELDER THAT DOES DEFENSE WORK!

Steve

Yawn!!!!!!!

You're very close to becoming the second person I've plonked. You remind
me very much of a baby bird.

Harold