Zipper

Default Welder for around $1,000

I should add that I am doing this for hobby only. I have no intentions of
ever trying to have a job doing this. I work with computers for a living,
and enjoy that very much, I'm also quite good at it. From the sounds of
things I've heard so far I'm either going to go for a Syncowave 180 SD or
I'll look a bit more on the used market. I'm also going to look at the
welders Enrie mentioned. Thanks for everyone's reply. Any more advice for a
noob, would be appreicated.

-Stephen

"Zipper" zipper777ATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
I've been trying to get in to welding for awhile now, but have not had the
funds I needed to buy what I needed. I now have enough money to start
getting in to it seriously, and I was hoping someone might be able to help
me. I'm looking to buy a decent TIG welder. I'm looking to spend somewhere
near $1,000. I don't mind going as high as $1,500 if I can't get something
decent for 1k. I posted links below to some of the units I found that I
think are decent, but I'm not really sure. I don't mind buying used, but
whatever the machine is would have to be something that I wouldn't have to
repair. I bought a little $200 TIG welder from HarborFreight, but that
just didn't seem to work for me. My skills suck obviously, but I still
don't think the welder was doing that much good.. What I would like weld
would be aluminum and steel mostly. My plan isn't to weld anything higher
than 16 gauge, and most everything I would be working with would be in the
20 gauge or higher range. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.
Thank you for your time.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/econotig_ac_dc/

-Stephen