Default 100+ yo House - New Windows or Restore Old?

Hi All,

I've got a 100+ year-old house which has the typical 100+ year-old
windows. They are covered in lead pain, hard to open, and drafty.
They are also big, filled with original glass (wavy and in some sashes,
leaded), and beautiul.

The lead is the real issue here, since one of our kids, who is 4 1/2,
tested high last year. Most of the rest of the lead in the house has
been covered, but the windows remain... and due to this, we mostly keep
them closed.

My wife really wants to get the windows replaced with Marvin "Ultimate
Inserts" from an installer she knows. He wants about $800 per window
for labor and materials. We can't afford to do the whole house, so
this would be a two here, two there process.

The question to you experts is this: for the value of the home, am I
better off getting the windows restored, and maybe getting some
higher-quality storms put on, than replacing them completly? The
windows themselves are in decent shape, though they stick and tiny
fragments of wood and dust come down when you open/close them, etc.
Anyone have an idea what a quality stripping and restoration should
cost?

Note the lead issue will diminish in 18 months or so, when the kid
turns 6 (when the physiological impact of the lead is reduced), after
which the wife's major motivational point will be gone.

Thanks for your time.