Robert Swinney

Default Drilling holes Correcting mistakes in hole locations

All replies suggested methods of moving the hole over to the proper
location. Of them, the drill jig was best. However, the OP stated he had
already drilled the hole through in the wrong location. So, any attempts to
"move" the hole over, even slightly, will enlarge the hole. That may or may
not be critical to the finished product.

A method that works well is this: Drill out the mislocated hole to the next
size machine screw tap drill diameter. Drill the tap drill hole for a
tightly fitted machine screw, say 75% threads or so. Run a bolt in the hole
and cut it off on both sides so that it stands "a fraction" proud of the
hole. Using an anvil and ball peen hammer, upset the bolt on both sides
such that it expands and locks itself well into the threads in the hole.
Now, go back and accurately lay out the center pop mark for redrilling the
hole in the right location. You don't want to repeat this procedure, do
you?

Bob Swinney

"DanG" wrote in message
You don't say how much you missed by. A tapered rotary file can probably
fix your problem. A good sharp drill bit in the drill press will deflect,
but will usually let you gain a little.

Typical disclaimer:
You know you're not supposed to side load the drill press chuck, it is not
a mill. Some of us who do not own mills have been known to do so.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Fred" wrote in message
Drilling 1/4" holes on a 1/8" thick mild steel plate on a floor drill
press but a few of the holes were off. Try to corrected it on my drill
press to widen the holes with the same 1/4" drill bit the bid just
deflected from side pressure. I do not want to use a larger bit since it
will make the holes too large. I then try to corrected it with a Dremel
with one of those small cylindrical grinding stone attached to a 1/8"
shaft to get in the 1/4" hole but the grinding stone only lasted about 10
seconds before disintegrated. So what is the right tool/method just to
widen those holes on one side?