Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Welder for around $1,000

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:_Dj4f.17054$fE5.3346@fed1read06...

"Zipper" zipper777ATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
I've been trying to get in to welding for awhile now, but have not had

the
funds I needed to buy what I needed. I now have enough money to start
getting in to it seriously, and I was hoping someone might be able to

help
me. I'm looking to buy a decent TIG welder. I'm looking to spend

somewhere
near $1,000. I don't mind going as high as $1,500 if I can't get

something
decent for 1k. I posted links below to some of the units I found that I
think are decent, but I'm not really sure. I don't mind buying used, but
whatever the machine is would have to be something that I wouldn't have

repair. I bought a little $200 TIG welder from HarborFreight, but that
just didn't seem to work for me. My skills suck obviously, but I still
don't think the welder was doing that much good.. What I would like weld
would be aluminum and steel mostly. My plan isn't to weld anything

higher
than 16 gauge, and most everything I would be working with would be in

the
20 gauge or higher range. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.
Thank you for your time.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/econotig_ac_dc/

-Stephen

Take your money and get some lessons. If you could buy a $5,000 welder

used
for $1,000 it wouldn't do you any good.

Steve

Ha! You might try telling my buddy the same thing. He bought a new
Miller (years ago) and learned to TIG weld well enough to get
certified -------for defense work, no less. Mind you, I'm not
suggesting that anyone that desires to learn to weld ignore proper
instruction, but it can be learned other ways. The bad part is you don't
have anyone looking over your shoulder to tell you what you're doing wrong,
so bad habits can be enforced, same as when one is self taught machining.

Harold