Ernie Leimkuhler

Default Welder for around $1,000

In article ,
"Zipper" zipper777ATcomcastDOTnet wrote:

I've been trying to get in to welding for awhile now, but have not had the
funds I needed to buy what I needed. I now have enough money to start
getting in to it seriously, and I was hoping someone might be able to help
me. I'm looking to buy a decent TIG welder. I'm looking to spend somewhere
near $1,000. I don't mind going as high as $1,500 if I can't get something
decent for 1k. I posted links below to some of the units I found that I
think are decent, but I'm not really sure. I don't mind buying used, but
whatever the machine is would have to be something that I wouldn't have to
repair. I bought a little $200 TIG welder from HarborFreight, but that just
didn't seem to work for me. My skills suck obviously, but I still don't
think the welder was doing that much good.. What I would like weld would be
aluminum and steel mostly. My plan isn't to weld anything higher than 16
gauge, and most everything I would be working with would be in the 20 gauge
or higher range. If you have any advice I would appreciate it. Thank you for
your time.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/econotig_ac_dc/

-Stephen

If you check your local auction listings you can find machines like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/miller-syncrowav...emZ7554738099Q
QcategoryZ113743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Older transformer machines tend to go cheap at auctions.

Of the new machines, I like the Miller Syncrowave 180, Maxstar 150,
Maxstar 200, and Dynasty 200 machines, the Lincoln Precisiontig 185,
Squarewave 175, and Invertec 205 machines, the HTP Invertig 200, and the
Thermal Arc 185TSW.
There is also the ESAB Heliarc 161

All of these machine fall between $1200 and $2700.

Check eBay for used machines near you, and start scanning your local
auction listings.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams