DoN. Nichols

Default Anyone has Shop Fox 17" Drill Press?

According to Alex :
Yes it's actually a new drill press.
The specs I posted before wrong.
Here a correct and complete specs.

# Motor size: 1 H.P., 1720 RPM
# Voltage: 110V/220V

[ ... ]

# Spindle taper: MT#3
# Drill chuck: 5/8"
# Number of speeds: 12
# Range of speeds: 140-3050 R.P.M.

Is there anything inherently wrong with MT#3 taper?

Nope -- it is an excellent way to mount drill chucks and other
drilling tools (such as MT-shank drill bits).

But -- as already mentioned, 140 RPM is not really slow enough
even for the maximum size drill bit which will fit in the supplied chuck
-- at least for use in steel. The MT-3 spindle can *directly* drive at
least 1" drill bits -- so you would be seriously overspeed there.

I strongly suspect that it is yet another of the imports from
China. (Mine came from Taiwan, as I got it back around 1976 or so.)
*All* of those which I have seen come with too big a drill chuck
capacity for the slowest speed of which they are capable -- at least for
work in steel.

In your first article in this thread, you mentioned "12-speed
motor". I think that you will actually find that it is a single speed
motor, and you will have to shift belts to different pulley steps to get
the various speeds. I expect a four step pulley on the motor on the
spindle, and on the idler in the middle. I have a 16-speed version,
which has five steps on two of those at least. I think the motor and
the idler. And my drill press is marginal in terms of lowest spindle
speed, just like all of the other imports. I keep being tempted to yank
the existing motor and toss in a three-phase motor and a VFD so I can
tune up slower speeds at need.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564