DoN. Nichols

Default Crimping large cable lugs without a crimper

According to Don Murray :

AL wrote:
On a related note, just how are you supposed to strip (ie. remove insulation
from) these large cables? I've seen strippers up to 8 gauge, but nothing
larger. I can't believe a utility knife is the proper tool.

Here are two that I like to use.

http://www.brenco-inc.com/catalog/ripleystrip/u6.jpg

http://www.brenco-inc.com/catalog/ripleystrip/u11.jpg

Those look nice -- but rather specialized to given gauge wire.
I have one which I particularly like which has a spring-loaded V cradle
for the wire with insulation, and a penetrating knife blade with an
adjustable depth stop, which will cut all the way through the insulation
(or ideally -- almost all the way though, but not quite), and then a
press of a button will rotate the knife blade to parallel to the wire's
axis, so when you pull it off the end, it also slits the insulation down
to the end, making it easier to peel off. It also works well on
multi-conductor cables, such as you would use for feeding the
three-phase motor on your lathe or mill.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564