Emmo

Default Welder for around $1,000

I went through this same process awhile ago. The Econotig is also sold as
the TigMate. The specs looked good to me, and the price seemed right,
but...

I looked at a lot of machines, and went to a Miller road show, where they
rolled in the 18 wheeler with every machine they make. This is where I
first saw the Passport, some huge pipe welders and so on. Anyway, I looked
all around and finally asked the rep where the Econotig was. His reply, "We
don't recommend that unit, and we don't bring it to our roadshows." I later
asked at two different welding dealers, and both of them told me that they
wouldn't sell it to me. That was quite enough for me...

I use the Synchrowave at the classes I take at the community college, and I
like it a lot. But I couldn't afford one. So I ended up with an older,
used, DC only, lift start unit called the Power Pulse from a company called
Daytona Mig. This unit is actually a Cebora, I believe. I got it on eBay
for under $500, and it has worked out very well for me. No AC, no high
frequency, no foot pedal, but the pulse feature allows me to weld thin
stock, and tubular material, mild steel and stainless.

Others will point you to other equipment, but many experts warned me away
from the Econotig.

Good luck!