Gerald Miller

Default Compressor recommendations

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:05:02 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:45:39 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

RAM^3 wrote:

I bought a Porter Cable "Job Boss" [model 3151 iirc] that was "rated" at 6.2
CFM @ 90 PSI. It won't keep up with a Campbell-Hausfeld 6 CMF die grinder.
Oh, it'll run it for a short period but not continuously and a sander is out
of the question.

That's another issue - just as these consumer-grade air compressor vendors
overrate the CFM ratings for compressors, so they underrate the CFM on their air
tools. I have yet to see an air die grinder which doesn't require a solid 15 CFM
at 90 psi to run the air pump at 50% duty cycle or below which is what you
should have to avoid wearing out your compressor.

Not 6 CFM. Not 10 CFM. FIFTEEN CFM.

GWE

Which sez your diegrinders need about 7.5 CFM. Diff'rent strokes for
diff'rnt folks. Weekend workers are not gonna be running a
diegrinder 16 hours per weekend most weekends. Sauce for goose 'n
gander, etc.

I don't know of any "weekend shop" guy that hasn't been satisfied
with his "consumer" 11CFM or so compressor.

I think we "advisors" should separate "whut I have" from "whut you
should have" when needs of askers may be different from ours.

I am quite happy with the performance from my $12 die grinder powered
by my 1/2 HP, 2CFM compressor. Of course if I found a 15 CFM
compressor and appropriate motor for the money invested in the present
setup ( less than $10 ) I wouldn't turn it down.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada