RAM^3

Default Compressor recommendations

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:45:39 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

RAM^3 wrote:

I bought a Porter Cable "Job Boss" [model 3151 iirc] that was "rated" at
6.2 CFM @ 90 PSI. It won't keep up with a Campbell-Hausfeld 6 CMF die
grinder. Oh, it'll run it for a short period but not continuously and a
sander is out of the question.

That's another issue - just as these consumer-grade air compressor
vendors overrate the CFM ratings for compressors, so they underrate the
CFM on their air tools. I have yet to see an air die grinder which
doesn't require a solid 15 CFM at 90 psi to run the air pump at 50% duty
cycle or below which is what you should have to avoid wearing out your
compressor.

Not 6 CFM. Not 10 CFM. FIFTEEN CFM.

GWE

Which sez your diegrinders need about 7.5 CFM. Diff'rent strokes for
diff'rnt folks. Weekend workers are not gonna be running a
diegrinder 16 hours per weekend most weekends. Sauce for goose 'n
gander, etc. I don't know of any "weekend shop" guy that hasn't been
satisfied
with his "consumer" 11CFM or so compressor. I think we "advisors"
should separate "whut I have" from "whut you
should have" when needs of askers may be different from ours.

Well said, Don. Every guy has different needs. A consumer-grade compressor
might suit you well. If you want a brand new compressor, don't want to
spend time tinkering with it, and don't mind a machine which might need
replacing in a few years, go for it. But if you like tinkering, want a
compressor which will last, and the air to drive your 43 CFM
Ingersoll-Rand die grinder (they do make one, I'll find the model number
if you like) go for the ex-industrial unit.

Chris

All too true, Chris.

One of my key considerations was portability and this one fits nicely
between the tailgate of my pickup and the fifth-wheel hitch. It also sits 6"
below the bed rails.

It runs easily from a 15A 120V circuit - available on the outside of my RV -
when the generator is running. This allows me to use a few basic pneumatic
tools such as an impact wrench and ratchet in the event of a flat tire "in
the middle of nowhere". G

Don: here's one "weekend shop" guy that's going to be looking for something
in the 15+ CFM range with as much storage capacity as I can get that'll run
on 240V single-phase. [Emphasis on the "+"]

My goal will be to have enough capacity to consider doing light-to-medium
sand/bead blasting and, if the comments posted here are even "near the
ballpark", there are few pneumatic applications that require more airflow
than that.