Gene E. Bloch

Default Intermittent static when viewing cable, cable ready problem?

On 10/13/2005, Ross Mac managed to type:
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
On 10/11/2005, Ross Mac managed to type:
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
"Ross Mac" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an intermittent static problem on one tv in my house. When
watching cable short and annoying blasts of video and audio
static occur repeatedly until I give trying to watch. Or
ometimes it only happens once a day and will be days before it
happens again. Two diffent cable tech say it is the tv. The
other tv in the house does not have this problem. I finally
switched our second tv with the one that has the problem and the
static has not happened since.

The tv with the problem is a 31" Toshiba. When playing dvd's
(using either the svid or composite video input) the image is
perfect the static never intrudes.

If the problem was in that line (wiring or connections) then I
believe the problem would occur on whatever tv was in use in that
room. I am left to believe that the problem must be in the cable
ready portion of the tv. Anyone know any common problems or
thing I should check on the cable ready board??

I can check and replace electronics, I work on pinball machines.
But I have schematics and know the common pinball aliments.

Thanks,
Dug

My guess would be connections as others have posted. Whether at
the splitter or in the set. Try testing the set at a neighbors
house. If it is the set and you want to try your hand at fixing it
then get a bright light and a magnifying glass and look for cracks
or dark spots in the solder connections at the tuner. Usually it
will be a part that runs warm and is moving back and forth when
the set is on or off or maybe a single sided board without enough
solder. Just heat up the connection and run some solder into any
connection that looks suspicious. Also check for discolored
connections. They could be the cause too but no guarantee. Please
make sure to unplug the TV not just turn it off just to be safe...
Another idea would be to post this on sci.electronics.repair and
make sure to leave the full model number...There are some
excellent techs over there and you might just have a well known
bug with an easy fix.....good luck...

Note that CRT TVs have large capacitors with large voltages that
hold their charge for a long time.

An unplugged TV is not necessarily safe...

Gino

-- Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251
replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom"
This is true and those experienced in the electronic field would know
this....The OP indicated that he knew something about electrical repair so
it was not mentioned....

The OP might not be the only one reading this thread, so I felt it wouldn't
hurt to mention it.

I have had a couple of nasty shocks from unplugged TVs, but I did survive -
perhaps

Gino

-- Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Damm that hurts doesn't it!....

It is definitely not fun. I've also gotten too close to spark plug
wires. That should be avoided too.

I guess if I had continued to make a habit of it, my nickname would be
Sparky instead of Gino :-)

Sp...I mean Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)