Grant Erwin

Default Anyone has Shop Fox 17" Drill Press?

Alex wrote:
My local shop has Shop Fox 17" Floor Drill Press model W1680 for $270
which seems o be a good deal.
Here is the specs:
1 HP 1720 RPM, 12 speed Motor, 110/220 Volt, 3-1/4" spindle travel, 5/8"
Drill Chuck, 750 RPM - 3050 RPM, 17" swing, 14" Diameter Table

If anyone has this drill press please share your experience.

750 rpm isn't very slow! It would be tough to use a hole saw on steel in that
guy. The chuck is probably useless with more than .010" runout, I have seen many
import drill chucks with up to 1/32" runout. I take it this has a 3MT tapered
spindle (once you remove the chuck, of course, using the drift pin they
hopefully have) and there is little or no runout in the spindle itself? And that
it runs very quietly and smoothly with little vibration in any speed? And has an
integral work light? And a rack/pinion arrangement to raise/lower the table? If
yes to all, then it's probably worth $270, a reasonable price to sell to a
reputable dealer for a used 17" DP, certainly far too high to pay a private
party. Basically for that price it should be just like new and in perfect
condition.

See http://www.tinyisland.com/htbdrillp.txt

GWE