Don Foreman

Default Compressor recommendations

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:45:56 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I need a compressor. I saw one today at Home Depot that was an upright on
wheels. A 5hp 115v. unit. It was Husky brand.

Anyone have any experience with Husky? I want the piston type, as the
others are just too loud.

I want to spend $4-$500.

I looked at IR, but they are expensive. Craftsman? Hausfeld Campbell? I
need something that will run air chisels, paint sprayer, etc, so it has to
be around a 2 hp. or more.

Suggestions and caveats, please.

Steve

Ignore the HP ratings. The only meaningful rating is free air CFM at
90 PSI. There are a few "consumer" 5 HP units that will deliver
about 11 CFM at 90 PSI. They're OK for occasional use, and they will
run most tools including a diegrinder, DA sander, chisels, sprayer,
impact wrench, etc.

A true 5HP 220-volt motor draws at least 20 amps. There are plenty
of 5 HP compressors that still don't deliver much air -- and there are
some industrial pumps that can do 11 CFM with 3 HP. Small pumps
are all inefficient, but there is a huge variance in how inefficient.
Theoretical power +15% friction to deliver 11 CFM at 90 PSI with
adiabitic compression (no cooling during compression) ) is only 2.15
HP!

Look at the pulley sizes and motor RPM, do some arithmetic. Low pump
speed (1100 RPM or less) is quieter and lasts longer. Stay away
from direct drive units.

The industrial jobs (Quincy, Ingersoll, et al) are definitely better
machines, but if your use is "weekender" type where the thing will run
for a few hours on some weekends, I think you'd be happy with one of
the better "consumer" jobs -- as long as it can deliver enough air.
I know several guys that have had them for over a decade. I saw one
a few weeks ago at a Farm & Fleet for about $450 that looked OK.

I would avoid brands like Campbell Hausfeld and Coleman. I'm not
familiar with Husky.

Hm. Check out http://tinyurl.com/8nt4u from Northern Tool for
$430. It's only 3.6 HP, 15 amps but delivers 11.2 CFM at 90 PSI.