Grant Erwin

Default Compressor recommendations

SteveB wrote:
I need a compressor. I saw one today at Home Depot that was an upright on
wheels. A 5hp 115v. unit. It was Husky brand.

Anyone have any experience with Husky? I want the piston type, as the
others are just too loud.

I want to spend $4-$500.

I looked at IR, but they are expensive. Craftsman? Hausfeld Campbell? I
need something that will run air chisels, paint sprayer, etc, so it has to
be around a 2 hp. or more.

You can get by with one of those you have named -- all the homeowner brands --
but you will not like them. And by "getting by" I don't mean you'll be able to
do whatever you think you need to. You won't have enough air with that thing to
run a die grinder or any kind of rotary air tool. They are made mostly for nail
guns. And they are *cheap* used.

The prevailing wisdom on thig NG is to buy used industrial gear. No, it isn't
shiny anymore, and yes you have to know a little bit to get something useful,
but I see really usable industrial air compressors all the time in my area in
your price range. Try your local craigslist - visit www.craigslist.org and pick
the closest city, go from there. Watch it for awhile.

GWE