Cicero

Default Fireproof document storage

wrote in message
oups.com...
At last we've finally paid off our mortgage and have been sent a huge
bundle of deeds and papers relating to the house.

My first thought was to get a fireproof document storage box to keep
them in, but some of the papers are too long ( 360mm ) to fit in any of
the boxes that I've seen and it isn't very practical to fold up the
bundles of paper to fit them in a smaller box.

The house is registered with the Land Registry, so it's not a
catastrophic loss if the papers do get burnt, but I'd rather keep them
as safe as is practicable.

The mortgage was with a bank and they don't offer a scheme to retain
the papers if a nominal outstanding balance is left unpaid. Instead
they want full commercial rates for document storage. They offer no
alternative.

So what clever ideas have any of you come up with to solve this problem
?

I can't find any small fire-proof boxes that are big enough to take the
deeds, but a safe that's big enough is absurdly huge.

I know where to get a metal deeds storage box of just the right size,
but it isn't fire proof. Is there any way of adapting one of those to
be a suitable solution ? It looks as though the fire-proofing is mostly
a concrete layer anyway. Perhaps somebody has done it themselves ?

You could ask the solicitor who's keeping your Will if he can store them.

Cic.