Paul Pluzhnikov

Default Is this a typical experience?

(Todd H.) writes:

Yeah. It sucks.

There are an awful lot of folks making a living doing really ****ty
work with really ****ty customer service skills. The good and
reliable folks generally don't want to deal with every new pain inthe
ass homeowner, and gravitate instead to larger jobs.

This has been a mystery to me for some time.

How is it that in a capitalist society there isn't someone who can
fix this problem? Hire well-qualified people, have stringent quality
control, make sure they are all on time, and charge 20% over the
"going rate". I'd pay 20% extra just to know that the guy will show
up and I wouldn't waste the day waiting for him, and several people
I know would gladly do the same. The word would get out, and this
company would put all the "****ty work" people out of business.

And yet this isn't happening. Instead we endure contractors who do
****ty work, don't show up and don't call, wouldn't even give an
estimate for "small" jobs, etc. etc.

Is it because everyone who is any good is already so booked up that
they don't need any extra work (and extra money)? It's hard to
believe that. Besides, painting a door is not rocket science. I am
sure I could master the skill (after all the programming jobs are
outsourced to India

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.