Franc Zabkar

Default Severed CRT necks on Old Zeniths

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:38:40 GMT, "Chris F."
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The discussion of exploding TV's (from lightning strikes) recently came up
on a forum at www.mythbustersfanclub.com. I've never seen a TV explode, but
I have seen a couple of old Zeniths (from the mid to late 70's) with severed
CRT necks. Anyone old enough to have worked on those should remember the
scenario; the HV soared way out of regulation, and the neck of the tube
eventually sheared itself off. Well I decided to post that knowledge of mine
in the thread, and some of the group regulars (including one experienced
technician) basically think I'm making it up. I tossed those broken CRT's
years ago (who keeps broken CRT's?) so I can't exactly "prove" this story.
But maybe someone on here can back me up. I'm sure some of you still
remember this unique problem.

My colleagues warned me never to remove the tuning cap on a particular
Philips chassis as this would cause the HV to pinhole the CRT under
the yoke.

-- Franc Zabkar