Chris F.

Default Severed CRT necks on Old Zeniths

The discussion of exploding TV's (from lightning strikes) recently came up
on a forum at www.mythbustersfanclub.com. I've never seen a TV explode, but
I have seen a couple of old Zeniths (from the mid to late 70's) with severed
CRT necks. Anyone old enough to have worked on those should remember the
scenario; the HV soared way out of regulation, and the neck of the tube
eventually sheared itself off. Well I decided to post that knowledge of mine
in the thread, and some of the group regulars (including one experienced
technician) basically think I'm making it up. I tossed those broken CRT's
years ago (who keeps broken CRT's?) so I can't exactly "prove" this story.
But maybe someone on here can back me up. I'm sure some of you still
remember this unique problem.

Ol' Duffer

In article ,
says...
The discussion of exploding TV's (from lightning strikes) recently came up
on a forum at
www.mythbustersfanclub.com. I've never seen a TV explode, but
I have seen a couple of old Zeniths (from the mid to late 70's) with severed
CRT necks. Anyone old enough to have worked on those should remember the
scenario; the HV soared way out of regulation, and the neck of the tube
eventually sheared itself off. Well I decided to post that knowledge of mine
in the thread, and some of the group regulars (including one experienced
technician) basically think I'm making it up. I tossed those broken CRT's
years ago (who keeps broken CRT's?) so I can't exactly "prove" this story.
But maybe someone on here can back me up. I'm sure some of you still
remember this unique problem.

Yep, usually caused by safety cap failure. High voltage punched
through the tube glass. Saw one that sucked the entire electron
gun into the tube, leaving the yoke hanging on a piece of tape.
'spensive repair caused by a cheap part...
Art

Zenith was not the only company suffering that symptom, Magnavox has a slew
of them as did some of the Japanese companies. Seen it also on a few
projection sets when the same scenario seems to happen, crt arcs thru the
glass beneath the yoke and severs the neck. Open the front of the telle up
to find the crt board, crt neck, deflection and convergence yokes either
setting on or embedded into the circuit boards bellow the defective crt.
Occasionally the face of the crt will also be broken allowing the coolant
fluid to no a nasty wash job on everything physically south of it. What a
fun job, Eh!!
"Ol' Duffer" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

RonKZ650

Yes it was a common problem on the FC and GC line 1975-76. The new
safety capacitor came complete with a sticker saying "safety capacitor
modified" that was supposed to be stuck to the set to alert future
techs that this problem was fixed.

Ray

This problem cited is absolutely true... In one case of the safety capacitor
failing, I remember that going anywhere near the tv set (for 4 feet or so )
you could feel the crackly charged crt field throughout your body. It
must have been up to 100, 000 volts Usually other components quickly
failed so that the danger was shut down.

Ray

"RonKZ650" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes it was a common problem on the FC and GC line 1975-76. The new
safety capacitor came complete with a sticker saying "safety capacitor
modified" that was supposed to be stuck to the set to alert future
techs that this problem was fixed.

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:38:40 GMT, "Chris F."
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The discussion of exploding TV's (from lightning strikes) recently came up
on a forum at www.mythbustersfanclub.com. I've never seen a TV explode, but
I have seen a couple of old Zeniths (from the mid to late 70's) with severed
CRT necks. Anyone old enough to have worked on those should remember the
scenario; the HV soared way out of regulation, and the neck of the tube
eventually sheared itself off. Well I decided to post that knowledge of mine
in the thread, and some of the group regulars (including one experienced
technician) basically think I'm making it up. I tossed those broken CRT's
years ago (who keeps broken CRT's?) so I can't exactly "prove" this story.
But maybe someone on here can back me up. I'm sure some of you still
remember this unique problem.

My colleagues warned me never to remove the tuning cap on a particular
Philips chassis as this would cause the HV to pinhole the CRT under
the yoke.

-- Franc Zabkar