Gunner

Default Pumpkin Guns/Cannon holy #@$%

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:51:32 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

snip

Shotgun shells that fire shot..use shot cups and occasionally wads.

I'll go with that.

Shotgun shells that fire a solid projectile, a finned slug or dart
acuatlly..use a sabot to hold the projectile..and they fall away once
it clears the barrel.

puts on official pedant hat to relieve some locally-ocurring boredom
Duzzat count for my 12 gauge slug-chucker? That's a solid projectile,
right?

I can't help eyeing the disassembled Remington "Slugger" shell laying
nearby, which shows lots of signs of wadding, but nothing recognizable
to me as a sabot...

Going down the stack, it's got a rolled crimp holding down a slug with
an exposed nose, which is sitting on top of (not in or surrounded by,
just sitting on top of) some sort of rubber-like plastic ring, similar
to a garden hose washer, but smaller and stiffer, which in turn sits on
top of (again, on, not in) a thick - I eyeball it at about half an inch
- fiber plug, which is above a half inch or so tall plastic "pillar"
with an integral bore-diameter base that sits on top of another thick
(this one only about 3/8 inch, I'd say) fiber plug, which sits on top of
a thin piece of a cardboard-like substance that keeps the powder tamped
down against the primer.

Other than the shell casing itself, nothing is wrapped around any of the
stack in such a way that it would prevent direct, intimate contact of
any portion of the OD of the stack with the ID of the barrel.

Where's the sabot??? Did I blink and miss it?

takes off pedant hat and hangs it back on the virtual rack

Gotta tip the hat your way for the sabot/wadding distinction, though - I
wasn't aware that the punkin-chunkers had taken up sabots. Last time I
paid attention, they were wadding them heavily, but hadn't progressed to
the more advanced sabot concept.

Chuckle...sabots are typically used for sub bore diameter projectiles.
After all..Sabot means "shoe"

Your slug, if its a bore riding full diameter projectile uses a wad
behind it to seal the bore. Some of the early Forester type hollow
base slugs, which used weight forewards stabilization used only an
over powder wad. Brenneke and similar slugs use a wad at the base of
the slug for bore sealing/wiping

You may find these of interest

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...nitions/12.htm